Cha Cha

What is bland food?

I'm kinda confused...hehe...someone help?

Asked by Cha Cha on Feb 21st 2008 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Marlowe, CGC

Did your vet recommend a "bland food diet"?

What they usually mean by that is a diet of rice mixed with either skinless/boneless boiled chicken, or rice mixed with ground beef that has been boiled and then had the fat skimmed off. Whenever I've done the bland diet for my dogs, I pressure cook brown rice with whole skinless chicken breasts for about 15-20 minutes and then when I open it up I shred the chicken (it falls apart after being pressure cooked) and make sure it's mixed thoroughly up in the rice.

A bland diet is usually recommended for dogs after having some kind of stomach or intestinal problem, to get them back to eating some food that won't be too taxing for them to digest while they recuperate.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 2/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lady

Marlowe is right.

Lady answered on 2/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mabel

I also agree with Marlowe, just make sure it is 80% rice and no more than 20% chicken. The purpose of a bland diet is to give the digestive system a break by not having too much fat and protein to digest.
REALLY lean hamburger works good as well.

Mabel answered on 2/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Athena

Yogurt as works. And if you can't afford the chicken try chicken broth to get her to eat the rice right up.

Athena answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer