What is a really cute, small, good dog??

My dad wants is getting a Brittany (thats a hunting dog) and he said i might be able to get a dog and i want a smaller dog!!! Any suggestions?????

Asked by Member 751916 on Oct 12th 2008 Tagged smalldogs in Brittany

Answers

Gypsy Dawn

pekignese are small and very friendly

Adopt don't shop!

Gypsy Dawn answered on 10/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

~Emma~ RL1

what fun!

Check this out. This is for the AKC website, for the toy breeds.
www.akc.org

Research any breeds that interest you. Once you get it narrowed down...

Go check out Petfinder.com

They have dogs / puppies / purebreds / mixes (designer dogs). The great thing is, they all need loving caring furever homes!

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 10/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Vladimir

This is just my opinion but I would chose an Italian Greyhound. There hasn't been an Italian Greyhound that I haven't liked! They are just the sweetest things!!!
I hope you can get a dog - I no how exciting that can be!

Vladimir answered on 10/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Whatever you choose, be sure to do your research to make sure that you choose the best breed for you.
And please only buy from a reputable breeder, shelter, or rescue.
Best of luck!

Darcy

I've had a pekingese and a yorkie...they were great, very different personalities though. Now I have a Boston Terrier and she is great, one thing with her that is great I don't have to worry about getting her groomed all the time, like I did with my Yorkie. Whatever you decide I would definitely look into adopting, I found my Boston on petfinder and its really a great thing, they have every kind of dog out there. Good luck!

Darcy answered on 10/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

All dogs have the potential for "good." And "cute" is relative. Just how "small" of a dog are you looking for? Your average Brittany weighs around 40 lbs. Are you looking for a dog under 5 lbs? Under 10 lbs? Under 25 lbs? What breeds do YOU find to be cute? If cute is what you're looking for!

Personally, I find all dogs to be cute in their own way; likewise, good. Go to the library, or search online, and research different breeds based on appearance, temperament, and size and find one that suits your interests. Keep in mind, however, that no matter the size, breed, or cuteness of any particular breed of dog, they ALL require the same care and training!

Hope you find your perfect dog.

Kiki - My Angel Baby Girl

Pommies, pommies, pommies! Pomeranians are small, soft, fluffy but will also let you know if somebody is coming. Loudly. He he.

Yapper and proud of it!

Kiki - My Angel Baby Girl answered on 10/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Boston

Papillons are the only breed for me. Normally are between 5 and 8 pounds. Sweetest dog. They will follow you everywhere. They get very attached to their person. Love bugs but they love to play to. They are like a small dog in a big dogs body. Daily brushing is required. Here is lots of info for you. cornsilkpapillons.com

Boston answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nibbles

May I suggest a Cavalier King Charles spaniel. Cute as a button, small but not fragile, sporting background and personality plus. They love everything and everybody! Nibbles is just absolutely wonderful.

Nibbles answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

All toy breeds are really very family friendly dogs. Make sure that you do some research BEFORE you purchase a dog. If you are going to get from a breeder, make sure that the breeder properly health tests all of their dogs, and that they are reputable - for example, if you were interested in a Chihuahua, check their club website to make sure that breeder is a member. If you aren't interested in getting a purebred dog from a breeder, then please adopt. Don't purchase a mixed breed from a person who considers themselves a 'breeder' because they obviously aren't. I have been breeding dogs for years, and I do also rescue non-purebred dogs - to rescue a dog is honestly the most rewarding thing you can do for yourself and for the dog. Just consider all of your options before you make a decision. You may want to start with the American Kennel Club website - www.akc.org - and check out some of the breeds that you are interested in. They will give you traits and characteristics of the breeds that you are interested in to see if they make a good match for your family or not. Brittanys are very loyal and smart dogs, but they require a lot of exercise as they are a sporting dog. Good luck with your new family member.

♥Maybelle♥

Shih-tzu's are pretty great small dogs, or bichons, haveneese maybe? If you want a REALLY small dog you can go for a yorkie, or a chi. It all depnds on your home, nad lifestyle...nad if you're looking for a fru-fru princess small dog. or a tough lil butch;) Grooming is also something to consider...

Pugs and Bostons are two of my favorites, they're ADORABLE!!! You can even get a cross between the two, it's called a BUG:)

Try looking on the Dogster site for these nad other breeds. If u go to "see the dogs" at the top of the screen you can pick what breed you want to see.

Just don't buy a pup from a Pet shop!!!

Good luck, keep us updated on what you find!

♥Maybelle♥ answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

bandit

I realize you may have your heart set on a smaller dog, but brittanys are not that big. The best thing about a britttany is while they are fantastic hunters, they are also great family pets. They are unbelievably smart and super affectionate. They are much easier to housebreak than a lot of the toy breeds as well. (Generally speaking)

We have a yorkie and a pug. Both are toys. We love all of them, but the brittany has been much easier to have-both training wise and health wise.

bandit answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

most small dog seem to be very mean if not traind well becuase they get something called ''small dog syndrome'' that alot of small dogs get so i would say that if your dad has never owned a dog before then he should get a medium sized dog becuase they don't need to be trained so much so get a brittany
i recommend a
Lagotto Romagnolo
tempermant-The Lagotto it's a working dog. It has a natural gift for searching and its very good nose has made this breed very efficient in truffle searching. The former hunting instinct has been eliminated, hence his work is not distracted by the scent of wilds animals or other dogs. The Lagotto is loyal, keen, affectionate, very attached to his owner and easy to train. It gets on well with other dogs and the other pets if sufficiently socialized. A Lagotto is supposed to get along with any dog. It is an excellent family companion and i only 28-35 pounds and i also alergy friendly and dosent shed an are not too small + too big

lola

what Kiki said

lola answered on 10/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sandy

You could get a shih tzu like me! and mommy says yorkies are very cute and small!! I hope you find a dog you like!!!!!

Sandy answered on 1/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Emma

I like Pugs and Bichon's.
But a Bichon Frise is high maintenance breed in the grooming department! Those are MY favs...but choose a dog that you love and can take care of.

Emma answered on 5/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

yorkie, lapso apsoo, or a shit zu, or you can try a mix

Bijou

I would suggest a Maltese or Bichon frise..they r gr8!!!!:)))
Small:maltese is up to 10 pounds and bichon frise is up to 25 maxx!!
They're very smart!! playful! love to learn all kinds of tricks and r extremely fast learners, and they're sooo loving and affectionate!!:) and dont bark much!
I would def recommend them!:)
Good luck!;)

Bijou answered on 8/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would recommend a Papillon as they are very gentle little dogs and love attention and to be cuddled.

Get a pug.....we have had all sorts of dogs large and small and the pugs just are so personable and sweet and faithful and undemanding. All they want is to be massaged and cuddled and fed. They are also clowns and can make you laugh.....

They don'[t need grooming just a light brushing to keep the shedding under control and not much of that.They eagerly approach everyone, strangers and canines alike. A really big day for them is a trip to the puppy park to play with other dogs.Really, I was surprised how much we love our pugs and how quickly we all got bonded. Can't say enough good things about them.

I have a Brittany and love the breed. They are on the go all of the time and love to play. If you intend for the small dog to live with the Brit then I would suggest a sturdier breed especially if the Brit is young. My Brit gets along great with my sister's Chihuahua/Dachshund and they play all the time. Thankfully the little dog is 16 lbs and able to hold her own. If you get a little dog that is more delicate, you and your dad will need to train the Brit to look but not touch. Good luck! Jasper's Mom

Get a dog from the shelter. Mixed breed dogs are great dogs. Go to your local shelter or rescue and look at the small dogs that they have there.