What is a normal height and weight of a 12 week old Shetland Sheepdog?

I recently purchased a Sheltie from Petland, Gasp i know. He is 12 weeks old, about 8 inches tall and weighs 4 lbs. I didn't think this was normal given comparison to previous shelties owned. Is this normal? Could he just be the runt?

Asked by Member 960151 on Feb 7th 2010 Tagged puppysize in Shetland Sheepdog

Answers

Saphira

This puppy was bred for one purpose and that was to make the breeder money. They didn't put any thought into what they were breeding just bred whatever they had in their "closet" to make pups. In saying this a sheltie can be any size even if bred correctly. The standard calls for them to be 13 - 16 inches in height but I have seen them extremely undersized and extremely over sized. To compare it to your other shelties will not do you any good. Different breedings result in different heights, personalities and health problems. He will probably be under sized, doesn't mean he is a runt just poorly bred.

Saphira answered on 2/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer