Faith (CGC)

What is a good weight for a 5 1/2 month old Border Collie?

I think that Faith is underwieght. The vet examined her and thinks that she is fine and healthy.

She IS UTD on shots, ACTS healthy with much energy, and eats fine but I can feel her ribs, hips AND backbone quite easily. She doesnt look as thin because she has long fur.

It may be that I am just paranoid because of what happened with my other dog Buddy. (He got sick and lost 1/2 his body weight...looked like a skeleton) but I just feel she should be putting on more weight.

I think she weighs around 25 lbs. or so.

I am feeding her more to maybe add a few pounds and because it is getting colder.

Is this something that I should be concerned about?

Asked by Faith (CGC) on Dec 7th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Jazzy

Well the rule of thumb we use in the vet clinics is we shouldn't be able to see the ribs but should be able to feel the back rib. Are you feeding her 3x a day still or are you down to 2x a day? Are you feeding her the amount it says on the bag per day? A 25lb dog should be getting about 2 1/2 cups per day. Female border collies get up to about 42lbs. So i think she is okay.

Jazzy answered on 12/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Joey

Well she is only 5 1/2 months so I dont think its something to worry about. Try feeding her more meat or protein. Do you think shes been getting too much exercise? By the way above your profile picture for Faith theres a little spot where it says the breed name (Border Collie in your case) just click on that and it will tell you quick facts about them including the average weight. But again your dog is only 5 1/2 months old so she has more growing to do so dont worry

Joey answered on 12/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

she is a great looking dog who looks to be in great shape , weight wise. I agree, I don't think you should worry. If you are taking her to the vet, and the dog is healthy, eating great and getting outdoor exercise, she should be fine and has alot of growing still.
Just feed her good and make sure she gets short intervals of exercise every day.
You can feel her ribs easily? are you pushing in with your hands. ? just run your hands along her sides without any pushing. To me, she looks fine.
All my dogs have an hour glass shape, I always get compliments on how well they are when I go to the vet. They eat like pigs and I give them plenty of exercise. :)

*Tommy*

when my Border Collie was 1 1/2 he weighed around 35 pounds now he is like 45 to 50 pounds since he is almost 9 years old we try and keep it at that weight

*Tommy* answered on 12/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Buckeye

I think Faith is at a healthy weight. You should be able to feel her ribs, but not see them. If the vet even said that she is at a good weight, then everything should be fine!
I think from your previous situation with Buddy might have made you worried about Faith, and I completely understand that. Just know that Faith is healthy, happy and a wonderful dog!

Buckeye answered on 12/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

FAith is a haelthy weight dog for sure!...Snowflake was about 35 pounds and look skinny..It happens all the time...Nothing to be concerned about Faith!:)

Bordie Collies at HER AGE should be around- 27-42 pounds(12-19kg)...

SHES HEALTHY AND AT HER WEIGHT!!:D

Ginger-  M.I.A.

Some young dogs seem almost skeletal until their growth stops and they fill out, around 1 year usually. I wouldn't worry about it if the vet thinks she's on track. And some dogs are just extremely thin their wholes lives without it being a problem. Ginger was like that, weighed 42 lbs at the most, and was exactly the same height as our 55-lb Aussie. Her ribs and hips were quite easy to feel, no matter how much I fed her. She lived a long healthy life, could still outrun many younger dogs and had zero arthritis at age 11. Being thin kept her young.

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 12/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sig

Some dogs are just lean built. My pointer/lab is very thin and eats like a pig. He's energetic though. it's normal for her age.

Sig answered on 12/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer