What is a good brand of large breed puppy food?

I've been researching puppy food on- line and it's driving me nuts. I always thought that foods like Purina One and Iams were good choices and I want to feed my puppy the best I can afford. What are some good quality foods for large- breed puppies? Are there even any out there?

Asked by Member 813134 on Mar 9th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

There are plenty of good quality large breed puppy formulas out there! Not to worry! First off, Purina and Iams are definitely not your best bet- they are low-quality and have lots of cereal grains called "fillers" designed to fill up the dog so it feels full, but it offers no nutritional value. You have to look at the ingredient list when choosing a good dog food. Generally, avoid wheat, corn, soy, by-products, ethoxyquin, and menadione bisulfite complex. All of these ingredients have been linked to serious disease. You will not find quality dog food in a grocery store. The first ingredient in a food should be a meat product, not a grain. Some good brands of dog/puppy food are Natural Balance, Solid Gold, Orijen, Wellness, Spot's Stew, and Innova. I personally feed Nari Natural Balance Duck and Potato- she loves it, and she's a very healthy girl!

answered on Mar 9th.

Answers

Alexandria

I have also researched many types of dog foods. I have a Shepherd mix. She loves Avoderm, the Oatmeal, brown rice lite dog food and Core(Mother Hubbard) dog food. Both are dry dog food and both of these brands have great ratings. I hope this is helpful.

Alexandria answered on 3/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There are lots of good foods out there, its just a matter of finding something that works for your dog, and what exactly are you looking for in a food. Do you want grainfree? Organic? Chicken based? Novel protein? All of these are important questions.
Some great brand names are Innova, Orijen, By Nature, Blue Buffalo, Acana, Wellness, etc.
Another thing--Since you own a large breed, a controlled growth formula is ESSENTIAL to preventing growth disorders. You need to stick to a large breed puppy food, or an adult food with calcium and phosphorus levels of 1.5% and about 9% respectively. These numbers can vary slightly in one direction or another, but that is a good baseline.
Also, try not to have a heart attack when you see the prices on some of these foods. They are more nutritional and have less fillers, therefore you feed less than you would of a food like Purina or Pedigree. The costs evens itself out!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 3/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Katie

Hi there!
When I was a puppy, my mom did a lot of research, too, and found out that you have to read labels, just like you would for a human toddler.
The best puppy/dog food is not usually available at the grocery store, or sometimes even at a brand-name pet store. The best for your puppy is what's called "premium" dog food, which has no by-products (e.g., necks, intestines, claws, an "acceptable" level of feathers, etc.), and definitely not "digest" of animal protein (which is enzymatically or chemically hydrolized, sometimes with acid).
The first ingredient listed should be the name of the meat - chicken, beef, lamb, salmon, etc. Large breeds do not do well with wheat or corn, so avoid those if you can.
Try a feed store or a boutique-style pet supply store (Centinela and Scraps are ours); they are usually knowledgable and helpful.
My favorite puppy foods, Hundchen Flocken Puppy and Wolf Cub, are made by Solid Gold. Lotus also has a good large-breed puppy food.
Raw is an option, too.

Katie answered on 3/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

solid gold dog foods are all good and good ingredients.
I highly recommend.

Researching dog food and trying to decide what to feed your furbaby can be very confusing, I have been there. Deogie likes Innova and Wellness large breed puppy.

Here is a great site.
www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Good luck and have a good one.

Tinker

We don't have a puppy, but a friend went with the Fromm Puppy Gold for Large Breed. We feed our almost 7 year old a mix of Fromm and Stella and Chewy's. Both own their own manufacturing facilites and DO NOT source ingredients from China. Great foods!
www.leashwecando.com

Tinker answered on 3/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer