Lucky

What is a good brand of dog treat?

I have a 4 month old German Shepherd puppy and I'm changing her diet to a much healthier one. I'm already feeding her Wellness puppy food and I want to feed her a healthier treat without taking time out of my day to make homemade ones, cause I just don't have the time. Any suggestions?

Asked by Lucky on Nov 24th 2009 Tagged dogtreatsgoodbrand in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I think Canidae makes good, healthy and natural treats. They come in sort of like bar forms (think chocolate bar sections that are easily separated) and my dog loves them.

I also boil plain chicken breast in bulk once a month, chop it into cubes and put it into a huge freezer bag. It's healthy, Jack loves it and it's really easy to make a huge quantity in advance.

Wellness has some nice treats, too, especially for puppies.

Puppy treats: Hi little german shepherd puppy! YOU are cute...
Wellness is a wonderful food - good choice!
Wellness makes some treats - you can use Wellness or Innova has a treat too.. ( adult treats are fine)
Also, don't forget a good wafer supplement- our clinic uses this one:
www.nuvet.com
WE get the wafers - you can get the powder or wafers - You are a larger breed - so you should love the taste of the wafer even at your young age.
BEST wishes ....

Eddie DeLuca

Is there an "ideal" food reinforcer, when they are CONSTANTLY being rewarded that is healthy and will not BREAK THE BANK?

Eddie DeLuca answered on 11/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You don't really need any treats for her diet.
But, if you enjoy giving them. I suggest the diced ham or chicken.
Diced ham already comes like that near the cold cut section at the store.
Or you can nuk an egg in the microwave.
They get spongy so you can cut it into little cubes.
I don't recommend any of the treats in a box or bag cause they are not healthy

Honey

Boiled Chicken or hotdog weenies cut up into small squares! M dogs love them! You can buy any dog treats, but just moniter how many she gets. Good Luck!

Honey answered on 11/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pure Bites are some of the best commercial treats I know, which are made out of dehydrated meat (I have fed the chicken and beef liver varieties) and no other ingredients. The next best, IMO, out of the brands I know is Omega Treats. Another fairly good brand is No Grainers at Wal*Mart.
Personally though, I don't use commercial treats very much anymore. I use cold cut chicken or ham, or hotdogs. Hotdogs are not exactly healthy though, so cut cold meat is better.
I generally don't prefer commercial food of any kind (especially for my dogs), because the way it's set up it's just too easy to sneak things into there that are not good.
That said, I will say that I would not mind using Pure Bites regularily since I cannot currently dehydrate my own meat. I just cannot afford them regularily.

One of the best things to use as treats is a little of the dogs regular kibble.

It isn't good to feed a large breed puppy a rich puppy chow. They are formulated for fastest possible growth placing the full adult weight on joints that are still developing. You would do better to switch to an adult chow. But be careful. Make sure what you choose is less than 1.5% calcium.

Lucky

I feed my 3 month old Dalmatian puppy Wellness Puppy as well...it's one of the best dry foods made. As for treats...since I'm doing lots of training, I've been getting Zuke's, soft and chewy and all natural, very low calorie. Check their website, they're in specialty retail stores.

Lucky answered on 6/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer