Tank

What is a good brand of dog food for a pitbull? My dog keeps having diarrhea!

I am looking for a new brand of food for my pitbull. We have switched brand three times. He has been on Blue Buffalo, Neutral, and now Avoderm. He has very bad diarrhea and he won't stop farting now. It smells horrible! I don't want to kick him out of the house so I end up wearing a mask sometimes because he farts every 5-10 minutes :( And he must have stomach aches if his gas smells that bad! :( Could he possibly be sick or should I look into other brands or should I just wait it out since Avoderm is new to him? Any recommendations would be great. He is a little over 1 years old. Btw he doesn't look sick at all. He is still playful, wags his tail all the time, but has gas all the time as well.

Asked by Tank on Jan 21st 2011 in Pet Food

Answers

Jazzy

Switching foods continously can cause diarrhea and is hard on the dogs stomach. Your pit can also have a sensitive stomach. I would also make an appt with your vet to discuss the issue. He/she may have you put your dog on a sensitive stomach diet. Blue buffalo and a few other good dog food brands has sensitive stomach diets.

Jazzy answered on 1/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Alikazam

I agree,switching foods so often will cause diarrhea and gas, especially if you don't do it gradually over 2 weeks. Stay with the present food and get a good probiotic supplement most vets carry them.I use Wysong products, but there are a few good ones out there. Don't get antibiotics it makes the issue worse. Its possible your dog has allergies,but more likely it just switching the food. Wait a month or two. If it continues the cause is probably allergy. I feed an allergy food from Wysong called Synorgen. Because my dog is allergic to oats and beef. A vet will probably recommend fasting your dog for 24 hrs, then feeding boiled chicken and rice. Then slowly introducing the kibble to the chicken and rice over a 2 week period increasing the kibble and reducing the chicken and rice, to acclimate the dog to it. Don't forget to add the probiotics to the food. It will help build there intestinal flora.

Alikazam answered on 1/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My Boston has constant gas. Raw diet helps that.
You have constant dirrehea? I see this as very familar. Is the dog food chicken based?
I can't not feed any chicken, foul, turkey to one dog. Allergic.
I use Pinnacle right now for her because raw didn't work out. I bought Pinnacle Trout and sweet potato and it is working out.
But, it has oatmeal in it, that might dry out your dog's coat. I just started my 2nd bag, and so far I think my dog's coat is ok.
You might want to stop the chicken and see if it the same allergy.
I tried BB for my Boston, we thought his bottom would blow up. And Avoderm dryed his coat out til he had bad dander.

When Libby had this problem over the summer, the vet prescribed a bland diet of white long-grain rice (the kind that takes 45 min. to cook) and ground beef. The rice helped to bind her up and the beef gave her the protein she needed. I fed her this way for about two weeks and then put her on Iams Lamb & Rice, which cleared up the loose stool. If that doesn't do it,a trip to the vet is in order, as they can recommend a good food for dogs with sensitive stomachs.

Maverick

I would recommend switching to a formula that is formulated for sensitive systems. A food that is easily digestible with limited ingredients may help with the tummy issues he's having. I would look into a bag of Nutro Natural Choice! They have a great large breed lamb and rice formula as well as a chicken meal one! They use natural ingredients with added vitamins and minerals and believe that natural ingredients are fresher, safer, healthier, and tastier!

If you add a tablespoon or two of some canned pure pumpkin that will help firm things up. Sometimes switching foods will cause loose stools. Be sure when switching foods to do so gradually over at least a weeks time.

www.TheNutroCompany.com for more info or feel free to paw mail me if you have more questions.

Maverick answered on 1/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Always change food slowly.. mix the old with the new as to not upset the stomach any more. Some great treats to have on hand are PETfection Happy Tummy treats. You can start giving him them (a couple a day) when he starts have soft stools. They are great at preventing diarrhea and will help soothe the stomach. You can check them out at www.myPETfection.com for more info. The dog I know who used them has Irritable Bowel Syndrome and would have diarrhea episodes every couple weeks. Once she tried the treats she said the diarrhea never came and the stool harden back up to normal. Might be worth a try! Hope this helps.

Dog foods I highly recommend -

Orijen
Primal Pet Foods
Organix Dog Food
Honest Kitchen
Solid Gold
Holistic Selects
Newman's Own
Dog Stew
Timberwolf Organics
Merrick

I do NOT like Avoderm, it has terrible ingredients in the food.

He could possibly be allergic to grains. Orijen is grain free. My dogs are on Orijen and I've never had a problem with Orijen before, my dogs love it.

What kind of treats does he eat? Are you sure it's not the treats?

You can put digest powder over his food which is a lot of help. Eagle Pack Holistic Digest Powder is good.