What happens to a dog when it eats about 20 pieces of gum?

It was jucy fruit gum. I'm not sure if it has anything dangerous for dogs in it chewed up on the floor one day, she's acting fine but I don't know if anything will happen.

Asked by Member 1089929 on Feb 5th 2012 in Alternative Treatments

Answers

If it was sugarless, then it's a problem. I would take her to the vet. Aspartame, artificial sweetener, is toxic to dogs. If it was regular, then I would just keep an eye on her and make sure she's going to the bathroom properly. Good Luck!

Xylitol (sp?) is another ingredient that's bad news. Check to see if the gum had it.

I don't believe that Juicy Fruit has xylitol in it. However, it does have a lot of other bad ingredients in it such as aspartame. I recommend taking her to the vet immediately.

Kazba

At best, it will just be like it does with us and get stuck in our intestines for years to come. That is a lot of gum. I think I would call the vet just to be on the safe side.

Kazba answered on 2/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer