what happens if your dog is allergic to cheese?

My dog was starving and we had no dog food so we gave him eggs and cheese . Our other dogs aren't sick, but he is vomiting and having diariha wich is a little yellow and red . He also wont eat or play and wines a little. Are these a symptom to any allergys to cheese????

Asked by Member 900133 on Oct 12th 2009 in Health & Safety

Answers

If it was just vomiting, I'd say that it could just be that he is just not used to cheese. Like when switching dog food brands cold turkey--your dog may get an upset stomach and puke it up.

But if he has blood in his stool and won't eat or play, he needs to be taken to the vet. ASAP.

You might want the vet to check out your baby soon.
I was reading about different foods last year and cheese was something that caught my eye.
I do feed small amount of cheese as well. I have done the egg and cheese as well.
Cheese was listed as one of the top foods not to feed to dogs. It is not an allergy.
Milk products do carry a degree of e coli bacteria.
So, with that said your dog may need some antibotics and throw that batch of cheese out to the garbage.
I hope your dog feels better soon.
sorry to have to tell you that, I don't mean to scare you.

Small amounts of cheese and yogurt are fine, but a lot at once can cause an upset tummy. Dogs are essentially lactose intolerant and suffer the same symptoms as humans - gas, discomfort, flatulence, and diarrhea.

First, this is not the best thing to give your dog as food. Some dogs don't tolerate dairy well. Was the eggs raw or cooked. Raw eggs can be harmful because the whites of a raw egg contains avidin which prevents your dog from absorbing biotin a b vitamin which is good for their coat and skin. The myth that RAW eggs are good for a dogs coat is wrong. Many dogs don't digest dairy well so it is possible your dog is one of them. Next time they don't have any food give them some cooked chicken, rice and some carrots and other vegtables to avoid this problem.

I don't think your dog is allergic to cheese.

When you say your dog was starving, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean you just found this dog and gave him eggs and cheese to feed him until you could get him food? Or does it mean you are feeding a malnourished dog eggs and cheese?

Either way, it's a really bad idea to give dogs people food. It sounds to me like he's either suffering from malnutrition and giving him the rich food like this gave him an upset stomach or he could have pancreatitis, a sometimes fatal condition in which dogs' pancreatic function shuts down. The most common cause of this is being fed people food. Dogs can't tolerate fatty foods like this.

I would get this dog to the vet IMMEDIATELY as it sounds like he could have pancreatitis. If not treated, he could get worse and expire and he's certainly in pain. Not taking him is neglect, so make sure you take him somehow.

Good luck.