what happens if my dog ate gum?

My dog just ate Extra gum. She ate it while I was on the computer. I don't know what to do.

Asked by Member 1141426 on Nov 19th 2012 Tagged gum in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Seth

Just one piece or a whole pack. You do have s bit of a worry if it is s whole pack. There is something in gum that us not good for dogs. But if it is a small amount. And a one time only. It should not be s problem

Seth answered on 11/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You need to look at the ingredients to see if this gum contains Xylotol. If it does, you need to call the vet right away to see if the amount of gum she ate contains enough xylotol to be toxic to your dog. Xylotol, when taken in toxic doses which vary based on the size of the dog, causes severe hypoglycemia, liver failure, or even death. She would need to have her blood glucose (sugar) levels monitored.

I agree with Libby. Check the ingredients. Then call the vet.

I agree with Libby too.