What dog food do you use?

I'm moving, and i want to make a better start with my pets. I want to know what the people use, and how theyfeel about it.

Asked by Member 1024150 on Jun 28th 2011 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

You'll get more feedback if you post this topic in the forums.
Beware: the subject of pet food can be a can of worms!

Many people on Dogster tend to agree with this thread: www.dogster.com
As do I, but I prefer feeding a well-balanced homeprepared diet if possible. Namely a raw diet. The idea is that dogs were designed to digest meat, bones, and organs, so it's the most healthful diet for them. I've been feeding raw for nearly three years.
Resources and information on raw in this thread: www.dogster.com

Gia

We use Ceaser mixed with Dog Chow, my dog loves it! I recommend Dog Chow becuase it helps the dog's lifespan over 1 extra year!

**BEWARE** Switching a dog's diet could make them sick, and every dog is different, dogs could be allergic or intoleerent to ingrediants in the food, so I would ask your vet what he recommends, if your dogs like the food they have already, I would just keep that! :)

Gia answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

sookie

look into rachel ray its good for them and my dog likes it better than her old food natural life you can go to her website and read up on it hope this helps

sookie answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jazzy

I recommend feeding your dog a premium dog food like blue buffalo, wellness, taste of the wild, evangers, earthborne holistic, evo, canidae, Orijen to name a few. Here's a great website for you to research the type of dog food you want to feed your dog:
www.dogfoodadvisor.com
You can also feed a raw diet like the 1st poster had recommended.

Jazzy answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zack

I agree with everything Treader wrote, but unfortunately a homeprepared diet is not possible for us right now.

Every dog is different, but mine does best on a moderate-high protein, grain-free diet where the protein and fat come from animal sources (not by-products). We have tried many foods and have settled on Taste of the Wild because he does very well on it, it is available in my town, and it is affordable. My dog also gets real meat and sometimes vegetables and fruit for treats. Sometimes we add plain yogurt or a little canned food for variety - we particularly like Addiction, they make very healthy grain-free food and are helping their environment by using wild-caught invasive species.

Be sure to look outside the grocery store for more choices - we stick to feed stores and specialty pet stores (that don't sell puppies or kittens).

Zack answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Argon

I feed blue buffalo. Its not the greatest food ever but its much better than grocery store kibble and it still fits my budget...plus its the only decent food I can get locally.

Argon answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

EVO red meat dog loves it and no upset tummy or gut

and Raw- beef and chicken, two dogs love it and thrive on it.
all dogs have a shiny healthy coat
goodluck

J. J.

My mom feeds me Nutro Natural Choice Grain-Free Lamb Meal & Potato. It's the only Grain-Free diet that has a skin & coat guarantee, and I absolutely devour it!

J. J. answered on 6/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lovey

Iams is a great brand. It includes everything your dog needs. Your pet will love the taste. You can even buy diffferent flavors! Currently my dogs are eating Kibbles&Bits. They go crazy! They love the tast and it's healthy for them too! I hope this helps, and goodluck!!

Lovey answered on 7/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ty

I trade back and forth between Nutro Venison and the lamb and rice Nutro formula. I like what it does for my show coats and they are very active even at advanced age.

Ty answered on 7/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shiloh

I've recently switched to Castor & Pollus Organix. I did a lot of research and that's the one I felt was the best choice in what I could afford. This link might be helpful: www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Shiloh answered on 7/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer