What dog breed should we get?

My daughter would like a dog. We would get it for her for Christmas (She's 14, and very responsible, not just saying that because she's my daughter) we are going to have a daughter in a week. And already have an other child. So we need a good family dog. And one that doesn't shed as much. (Poodles are out of the question, my daughter doesn't like them) I was thinking about a pembroke welsh corgi, or a cardagan welsh corgi, I actually really like them. Would they work for us? And any other breeds? (No big dogs)

Asked by Member 898186 on Oct 7th 2009 Tagged breed in Other Puppies

Answers

Hey now, what's wrong with us big dogs??? Just kidding.
I think Corgi's are awesome dogs. Nipping at the heels and barking should be addressed immediately or it could become a problem.
Congrats in advance on your upcoming arrival of your fur baby, yuour daughter will love it.

Take a trip through a few shelters and look at the dogs that need forever homes. You and your daughter could possibly fall head over heels for a dog in a shelter. Or even a rescue group that deals with pure breeds. There are lots of rescue groups that have dogs that need love.

Corgis are wonderful dogs but they shed a ton. They are also herding dogs that require a great deal of exercise, and need jobs to do. a bored herding dog has a tendency to be destructive and will make up its own job, which you are very likely to not be pleased about.

What does your daughter have against poodles? is it because of the frou-frou toy ones she's seen? The tow of you might want to visit some Standard Poodle breeders especially those that show in obedience or are UKC breeders (doesn't require that AKC style show cut). Other breeds that are low shedding are Portuguese Water Dogs, many of the terrier breeds (i.e. Kerry Blues, Bedlingtons, Australian Terriers, etc.), and some of the Toy breeds, such as Maltese.

One thing I will emphasize is to not get a dog for christmas. Instead get all the equipment you'll need for the dog and then get the dog after the Holidays are over. It's just too hectic and very scary a time for a new pup or dog .

Any dog with a double coat, like the Corgi is going to shed like crazy. In addition herding dogs and small children are a bad mix. They naturally nip at heels!
You said no big dogs - how about a medium size? There are very few small dogs that are good with little children (and visa versa). Because little kids are accidentally to rough on the little dogs they get defensive and may bite. I find that a 40 pound dog is small enough if you don't want a big dog and big enough to withstand a little childs attention.
Breeds to look at: Pug, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Whippet (high energy).
Given the age of your children, and your limits on size and shedding, they are very few pure breeds under 55 poundsI can recommend.

Please choose carefully, many times a little puppy seems so cute, but puppy hood is over in a flash and the high energy, high maintanance, dominant, destructive, nippy dog that replaces the cute little puppy winds up at the pound.

Zack

I would suggest posting your question in the "Choosing the Right Dog" forum. Then you can give more information, respond to what people write, etc.

www.dogster.com

What does your daughter want to do with the dog? What type of personality is she looking for? How big is too big? What are your typical family activities? These are all things that are important to consider when choosing a dog.

Here are some places to read more about Corgis:
www.pembrokecorgi.org
www.cardigancorgis.com

I know that they do shed and they do require regular brushing.

Zack answered on 10/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Is this question the one your daughter posted(?):
www.dogster.com

My bad, in answering her question, I listed Shelties a big dogs. They are similar to Collies in looks, but are much smaller, with a somewhat different head and general personality. The standard calls for a Sheltie to be 13 to 16" at the withers, but they can be smaller or larger.

I would pick a dog that fits your lifestyle. All dogs basically shed except the few non shedders like the poodle ect...
What is your lifestyle like, very active , ect...
Herding dogs are very energentic, they require more exercise then some. The Boston terrier has less hair to shed and are great with children. Their fun and loving personality make them the center of focus for all kids.
They can be taught an array of tricks in a short amount of time. They do not tolerate extreme heat or cold. So they must be an inside dog.
The dauchsand is also a great choice also, pardon my spelling I am sick this week.
good luck and research several breeds before making a choice.
Many excellent full blooded dogs are in shelters looking for homes. Many are beagles and they make great pets for kids as well.

♥Candy♥

Well I'd say a lab but they can get pretty big. My grandma got Candy, a goldendoodle, and she's about 50 pounds but with poodles coming in different sizes throws off size prediction sometimes. Why doesn't your daughter like poodles? Is it the way they're hair looks or what? I hope barking isn't a problem because most small dogs bark a lot.

♥Candy♥ answered on 10/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

consider getting a mix not a designer breed like a cockapoo they are just mix's (mutts) i luve mutts they are the best! with fancy names. Maybe your daughter dosent like poodles beacsue of their show coat?? look for the classic 'puppy clip' poodles look adorable in them :) i reccomend going to : www.petfinder.com to look for a dog and for selecting one :
animal.discovery.com
www.eukanuba.com and animal.discovery.com please o please do your homework before you adopt dont condier getting a small dog becasue they could get injured easily a big dog i understand your concern, try a med. size dog (best of both worlds). think of the timing Christmas isnt that good w/ the hustle & busle ur dog could get scared and get injured. Think timing, size, weather, & consider ALL the factors! Good Luck! Hope this helps :)