Izzy

what does it mean when your dog eats her poop?

Asked by Izzy on Sep 24th 2007 in Coprophagy (Stool Eating)

Best Answer

Bleu

I don't know what it means, but I have the perfect natural rememdy to prevent it. Put either pineapple or pumpkin in his food. It is perfectly safe and healthy. He will love the taste and he will hate the poop.

Bleu answered on Sep 24th.

Answers

Definitely the pineapple remedy will help!

Depending on what kind of food your dog eats, she could be malnourished.

Dogs usually eat poop because the food they eat isn't high enough quality to be broken down and absorbed in their system. The result is that the poop comes out smelling and tasting very much like it went in (!) so they find it tasty.

I would take any dog who is ingesting its own feces to a vet.

There are some dogs that simply like to eat poop, but in the vast majority of cases, there's some kind of deficiency or disorder involved.

Buddy Boy

I know it usually means something is wrong and they are sick. When puppies do it, its usually ok, but when adults do it, it usually means the are sick.

Buddy Boy answered on 9/25/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Squirt

Hey there, i work in a vet- it is quite normal-it actually even has a name!!
Copraphagia-look it up! dont be toooo concerned as long as pup is well in herself---:)

Squirt answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer