Griffin'

What do you think about Greenies?

Do they work? Are they good for dogs?

Asked by Griffin' on Jan 16th 2008 Tagged greenies, brushing, teeth, safe, health in Dental Care

Best Answer

Shayne CGC, RL2

Our dogs get greenies 1-2 times per week with no problems. We've been feeding greenies for about 5 years now. we've had dogs as small as shih tzus eat them and as large as a lab/bordercollie/shephard mix (50 lbs). All of my dogs have had SUPERB teeth--my 8year old mix had to be taken to a new clinic once and when they guessed her age they said 3... her teeth were spectacular! None of them ever got sick from greenies and my current BC swallows them in big-ish bites.

As with every type of food, some dogs just dont handle greenies well and can get diarrhea--if your dogs dont handle them well then dont feed them.

Greenies reformulated their treats to digest even easier--the number of dogs who had problems digesting them were very small percentage--but the company responded by changing the formula and making them a slightly different texture and since there have been no open reports *that i have found* regarding digestion issues.

Shayne CGC, RL2 answered on Jan 17th.

Answers

My dogs get a greenie twice a week. As with everything in life, they are fine in moderation. Greenies are indeed better than rawhide which does not digest well. They are not a substitute for proper oral care though. You will still need to brush your dog's teeth.

PEBBLES

I gave my dog the small greenie and she got a real bad belly..Very loose stools..I also tried the white ones w/blue in them and the same thing happened..I just use a tooth brush with peanut buter flavored paste..She loves it..

PEBBLES answered on 1/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tara Marie

Personally, I used to give them to tara all the time.

But then I was noticing that many dogs including Tara would get Diaherra and i was advise by the vet to stop using them.

do not give your dog Greenies.

Here are a few other treats you can get:
Milkbone shaped in a fish allnatural no by products
Regular Milkbones these two products can be bought in your supermarket. I shop at Shoprite.

Pet Store: all natural organic bones with Carrots,peanut butter and etc. you will see them displayed on the counter they are long some what on the chunky side and wrapped in colors.
also I also gave Tara little bones with Yoguart.

anything else you would need help please feel free to email @ tarabev1@verizon.net.

I will always answer you just let me know in the subject who u are.

tara's Mommy.

Tara Marie answered on 1/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Joey gets a Greenie anywhere for 1-2 times a week! Along with getting his teeth brushed every day, his dental health is at it's peak! He doesn't get loose stools from them- and considering that he has irritable bowel syndrome, that's a big deal around here!

I personally think that they are fine to give. Others might disagree. It's all a matter if they work for your individual dog or not. I would give them a try!

Some other great chews to give are whole, raw carrots, bully pizzle sticks, pork pizzle sticks, pig ears, cow feet, pressed rawhide bones, pork snouts, and rope toys. Of course, you should always supervise your dog while they chew on anything no matter how safe it seems to be.

Webster

Greenies should be taken off the market. They have caused death in animal. They cannot be digested and can lodge in the dog's intestant. Many dogs, like mine, are not dainty chewers. They will swallow the thing when they think it is small enough to swallow. That is when they get in trouble. Throw all Greenies away. They are Bad Bad Bad.

Webster answered on 1/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Callie, Angel in Heaven

My mom gave me greenies two different times, and I threw them up cos I just couldn't digest them. She took me to the vet cos I wouldn't eat after the 2nd time, and the vet said to never give them to me again, cos even though I had the right size for me (small), they could cause a blockage in my intestines. NO MORE GREENIES FOR ME!! The same thing happened to my cousin Daisy - she just tossed it right up, partially digested.... yuck!

Callie, Angel in Heaven answered on 1/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer