Sammy

What do I do about apartments with dog breed (pit bull) restrictions?

I live in northern Virginia (near Washington, DC) and am moving from a house to an apartment. 99% of the apartment complexes don't lease to people with pit bulls (or dobermans, rottweilers, etc.). Mine (as far as I can tell) is a Boston Terrier/pit bull mix, weighing 35 lbs. He was a rescue dog, and all his records, from the rescue group and the vet, etc. say his breed is pit bull or pit bull mix. I also have a little Maltese, which is not a problem. Some of these places actually want to have a "pet interview" to meet your dog! I don't want to ask them how they verify the breed (do they check with your vet, or ask for a photo of the dog?) because I will be giving myself away. We have no breed-specific laws here. I am desperate -- I have to get an apartment, but I don't want to lie about him. Perhaps individuals renting out their homes might be a better bet than apartment complexes with all their rules. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Asked by Sammy on Aug 19th 2009 Tagged pitbull, apartment, renting in American Pit Bull Terrier

Answers

Ava

Hi Sammy! Ava and I live in Northern Virginia too.
One thing my coworker's friend did when she had to move with her pit bull was she told them he was a Staffordshire Terrier. She said that unless they really know dog breeds, which most people don't, you can get away with this. Another less risky thing you could try is just saying he's a Boston Terrier mix. Leave the pit bull part out entirely. I know it can be sooo hard to find an apartment that accepts pit bulls. Good luck!

Ava answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Van Metre Woodland Park Apartments located in Herndon, VA allows all breeds including Pit Bulls. Its a great community and area!

Annie

I used to live in that area and know it VERY well. I've also owned pit bulls forever... Look in craigslist for private rentals/sublets of condos. They don't have those type of restrictions typically.

If all else fails and you can't find a place to live and you have to give up your dog (I really hope it doesn't come to that) then contact either FOHA or The Lost Dog and Cat Foundation... They are both no-kill shelters.

Annie answered on 4/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Balise Bianca

Just say it's a "TERRIER MIX" and they can't prove otherwise.

Balise Bianca answered on 5/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer