Sassy

What do dogs like best for treats, Milkbones or Meat?

Asked by Sassy on Mar 12th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Cookie

Every dog I've ever had would prefer meat over milkbones. They'd eat both, but they always are very slow to eat milkbones and sniff them a long time.

Cookie answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

In my experience, just about any dogs prefers meat over commercial treats, especially cooked meat because of the increased smell.

I recently started using hotdogs as training treats rather than dog treats from the store. They're supposed to be better for the dog.

Most dogs will probably choose a meaty treat over a Milkbone because the smell is more potent. Not to mention meaty treats are usually healthier and have less grains and chemicals in them. Avoid using lunch meat as a reward though, as it has too much sodium for the health of the dog. I would recommend purchasing and cooking your own meat from the grocery store. Chop it into small, bite sized pieces. The smell, not the size, is the most important factor.

Tinker

Tinks prefers the carnivore kisses from stella and chewy's-- they're freeze dried raw meat with no additives. They're our "high value" training treat. She's do anything for them. The cats eat them, too, and we've trained the cats to sit for them! We haven't tried all the different kinds yet. shop.leashwecando.com

She likes a lot of treats. She gets really excited for the Sam's Yams dried sweet potatoes, but not until after she'd had one. She left it on the floor for a couple hours. When I presented it a second time, she ate it and ever since she flips out when they come out and she devours it in no time.

I've found that since we started feeding her only natural foods and treats, she'll actually reject others. Same with the cats. A friend gave them greenies for a holiday gift and none of them would eat them, even though they used to a couple years ago.

I suggest anything without chemicals and preservatives. They just don't need that stuff in their food.

Tinker answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Personally, I would never give my dog a Milk Bone.
Deogie is very limited on his treats, (needs to maintain a healthy weight for his size) but he enjoys pieces of steak or chicken. I use this when he is training.
As for hotdogs and processed meats, dogs do love them but they certainly aren't good for them.
Dogs can also have little pieces of certain fruits and veggies as a treat. Bits of apple, (no seeds, toxic and absolutely no grapes) banana or bits of carrot.
Everything in moderation, especially treats. I use treats as a reward for doing something right while training but he very seldom gets a treat for just being his cute adorable self.
Have a good one.

Jet

There are actually different kinds of Milkbones. Here are some:

Small Breed

Puppy

Large Breed

Jet also loves NylaBones. They come in many different flavors, here are a few:

Chicken

Bacon & Cheese

Beef

Bacon

Cheese

Jet answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bailey

Think of it this way, a piece of meat for a dog is like a bite sized cookie for a human, whereas a milkbone is like a candy bar.
Most dogs like both but for training you want something that can be eaten quickly.
Even for regular treatings the dog would probably like meat more, but I would suggest saving the meat and other high value stuff exclusively for training so the dog has something worth behaving for.

Bailey answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy

My dogs prefer meat to biscuit treats. If a treat is smelly, it is tastier. If a treat is wet it is better. If you are training the faster the dog can eat the treat the better. So even though my dogs really like that dehydrated lamb or beef lung they would rather eat Natural Balance food roll.

Sassy answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Quinndred Spirit

Mine go for cooked meat over milkbones anyday. But if you put raw meat on the floor and milk bones they would go for the milk bones. These tzus dont do raw:) But they are split over fresh veg over cooked meat. Flippy would do anything for a mangetout or a cherry tomato.

Dogs eh...funny lil furbabies:)

Quinndred Spirit answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well - how about Tuna Cakes -
they sure do love this - easy to make at home .... here is the recipe:

Tuna cakes :
One of the simplest recipes ------
This might not offer an appetizing aroma, but our dogs will be
delighted with treats like these, which often take less than ten
minutes to organize.
Begin by mashing up two cans of tuna in a large bowl; add in three
cups of flour and 2 eggs.
Take equal portions of the mixture and mould into small cakes. Now
bake at a low temperature.
It's that simply and your dog will be drooling over it for days to
come.
Various other recipes for low-protein dog food similar to this can be
prepared using other varieties of fish.

Anyway - thought some of you may want to make it : I am sure you can
use wheat flour rather than white...
This is not a Wheat Free recipe...

From Marie Peppers
Ask the Pet Nurse...
source and more info here:
en.allexperts.com