What causes dogs to be born with half a tail?

My cocker spaniel had puppies. Now before you start she was already pregnant when i got her. So no rants, she will be spayed ASAP.

The question i have is, 2 puppies are bob tailed completely, 2 have what i call half tails, and 3 have natural long tails. now my friend i got her off of , has the father to the puppies, he's a doberman, pug, wiener dog mix, i know weird mix, but he too has a half tail. and the mother to him has a complete bob tail. what's the cause of this?

Asked by Member 1080235 on Dec 27th 2011 Tagged halftails, bobtailed in Puppies

Answers

Good for you to adopt a dog that was pregnant. The tails are obviously passed on genetically. I wouldn't worry about it. It will give them more character. Good Luck!

Dottie

Well all i can say is its from the father its passed down to some of the puppies dont worry

Dottie answered on 12/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There is a bobtail gene present in some breeds- notable Corgis and Australian Shepherds. It could certainly show up in a mixed-breed. If you're a dog nerd and want to know more about how it works, here's a great article about one man's effort to introduce the bobtail gene into the Boxer breed (to eliminate the need for tail docking.)
www.steynmere.com

Though I don't think it's the case in your litter (since the father and grandmother have bobtails also) bobtails can be caused by random accidents of fetal development as well- if only one puppy in a large litter has a bobtail, and no family history of such, I would assume that instead.