What can I put on a sore on my dogs leg. She got it from constantly licking herself. It is now red and raw.

Asked by Member 511119 on Mar 30th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Gidget

You can use vitamin e-oil. She will lick it off, which is perfectly safe, but you will need to re-apply. All natural MSM lotion works good too, and again, it is safe.

Have you found the cause of the hot spot? It may be an allergy, or a spider bite? Your vet can also give you some great stuff for itching, especially if he/she is able to find the cause.

Hope it isn't something too serious. But if you haven't done so yet, have her checked out. It will bring alot of relief to both of you.

Good luck!!!

Gidget answered on 3/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If there is no research in finding out what it is the dog is not going to get better.
The dog is licking so the dog will lick off whatever you put on it.
The vet might be able to wash the area with something special and then treat the dog for whatever she has whether it be a yeast infection or bacterial infection :)

Has she seen a vet? There are three main causes for licking/chewing on legs - skin condition, boredom, and anxiety.

Until you find out which it is, and fix it, you can't fix the problem as a whole. Only stopping the licking without addressing the issue doesn't help your dog.

I agree with Bear. A not uncommon condition is a lick granuloma, which develops when the dog begins obsessively licking a certain spot. This is usually a boredom/anxiety issue, and unless the basic cause is addressed, the dog will continue to self-mutilate. If you are lucky enough to get one spot healed, they will begin on another place. Things which can help are increased exercise, increased activity, providing mental stimulation thru the use of "mind" toys, and sometimes even resorting to daycare to give the dog some much needed stimulation.
I have seen this self mutilation so serious that the dog's foot and ankle needed to be amputated. Because the owner refused to change the dog's lifestyle, the dog just began chewing on the other foot and leg, and was ultimately euthanized.
Years ago one of my labs started one of these sores. I began bringing her to work with me everyday, and increased her exercise at home and she did stop chewing and the spot healed. Good luck!

I recommend using PETfection Hot Spots/Wound Spray. It is 100% Organic and Non-Toxic, so you can spray it on as often as needed. I used it on my dog and his wound was healed up in a couple days.... of course it does depend on how big the spot is, but I think this product is fantastic! You can check it out at www.mypetfection.com. Good luck!