Snoopy

What can I give my pitbull puppy to chew on?? He destroys all the toys I have given him with in 2 days

Hi,
I have a 4 month old pitbull puppy that really needs some sturdy to chew on. This has been an on going issue, every toy he gets he destroys it within a few days. I understand that they are not going to last forever, but at least longer then a week?! Please anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks... P.S. He has the Kong... destroyed! He is only 4 months old, and just lost some baby teeth the other day, the new ones haven't come in yet.

Asked by Snoopy on Feb 17th 2009 Tagged chew, behavior, pitbull, puppy in Other Puppies

Best Answer

Katie

Hi Snoopy!
When I was a puppy my family started calling me the Duchess of Destruction, because I was such a good chewer! Tennis balls were reduced to piles of small bits in a matter of minutes, tied-up socks only took a little longer to untie and chew to pieces, and of course all the pricey dog toys in the world couldn't slow me down for long.
Other posters have given some great ideas. Did you know that Kongs come with a lifetime guarantee? Save your receipts! In addition to the other ideas (deer antlers? Who knew?) - your family might try what my mom did. We went to Home Depot (where dogs are allowed on leash!) and bought some rope/cords used to tie up boats. They have an outer colorful nylon weave with a strong white center cord and I love the feel of biting through the outer layer to the inner one! My mom braids the cords into chew toys for me - much cheaper than pet store toys! We also play tug with them, but I know some dogs get too excited/dominant with tug games, so up to you.

Katie answered on Feb 20th.

Answers

Nylabone makes a strong bone called the Galeleo Bone, I would maybe give that a try. One of those lasts my dogs about a month-ish.

Tiggles (CGC, SILIF)

There are also Tuffies Pet Toys which are extremely durable. Each toy is stuffed with safe, non toxic fiber. You could give 'em a try...

www.vipproducts.com

Tiggles (CGC, SILIF) answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bailey,  CGC

I have had trouble myself finding toys that cannot be destroyed by my 9 month old choc lab. Nylabones and any of the hard dental nylabones seem to work. Just recently read about deer antlers. I know! Seems odd. Don't know if they work yet. I ordered them and anxiously awaiting its arrival. I would continue to give him a variety of toys, even if they get destroyed. Watch closely to see if his is swallowing pieces. Then take them away and replace with something else. Any toys that claim to be undestructable simply are not with agressive chewers. I only say to continue with new toys even if they will only last an hour or so... bc with boredom comes destruction and i am sure you would rather pay for toys then a new couch or other furniture! Good Luck! Feel free to pawmail me to ask about the antlers......

Bailey, CGC answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have the same problem with my big boy, but I found that the Kong comes in the indestructible Kong. It's black. The red Kong is the Classic Kong and my dog destroyed his within days.
Other than that and nylabones, I haven't found anything that can withstand his jaws. Thank dog he doesn't chew on my furniture.
He can pop a tennis ball in about 4 chews and can have it in half within 5 minutes. Long lasting toys seem to elude me too.

Skyline

I personally like just plain ol' bones from the butcher shop with some meat on them. They are tasty to dogs, cleans their teeth, and keeps them occupied for a very long time. We have tried beef bones and pork bones with our dog and she loves them both.

Skyline answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer