Sparky

What can I do if my dog won't eat her food?

Moxie used to love her food. Now she only nibbles it. Eventually she'll eat most of it, but she really avoid it until she must be quite hungry. Should we change foods or is she just being picky?

Asked by Sparky on Sep 18th 2007 Tagged dog, food, eat, worry in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Bentley

There could be a million reason why she won't eat. My dogs wouldn't drink the water from a brand new bowl that I thoroughly wash every day. I bought a different bowl and now they don't have any issues. I hope it is that easy! Try adding some cooked sweet potatoes. My five dogs love sweet potatoes.

Bentley answered on Sep 21st.

Answers

Sparky

What kind of food is she eating?

Sparky answered on 9/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Molly

With my dog I found that if I pulled a little bit of food at a time out of the bowl and onto a clean area for her (I put a placemat under her bowls that I clean regularly) then she will happily eat it all up, then I put more out and she eats that up and I can get her to almost finish the meal that way. It's a bit of a pain but it averts the mess and keeps her eating on a more regular schedule.

Molly answered on 9/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dakota

Oh the perils of getting a dog to eat.

Dakota looks like he never gets fed.

Could be that Moxie doesn't feel comfortable or needs to feel more part of the family. Dogs are pack animals. Sharing food with the pack is bonding.

Getting Dakota to eat is a daily game. What works the best is giving him meals with the rest of the family and placing his dish close enough to the table that he feels part of the family. But there are times when the family cannot sit down at the table together.

Other things that also have worked is putting a few kibble bits on a saucer at a time, or calling our cat Hawkeye into the room and tossing him a few bits of kibble. Dakota will most usually eat just to keep the cat from getting it. Sometimes just calling Hawkeye will make him jump right on into it.

Dakota answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

★ Panda ★

Exercise. Make sure you are giving your dog exercise. She will feel like she worked for her food if she gets exercise.

★ Panda ★ answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Firefly

Firefly stopped eating for a while. I was at wits end and finally bought some canned food and boiled chicken and added them to her diet. She loved it, and ate every bit. But now she gets only canned and chicken on occasions. Sometimes you can get a food sauce to make it taste bolder, fresher, tastier.

Exercise is also a good point. Before your first meal time, run your dog hard, play, and romp until your dog is on the brink of exhaustion. Let him/her sleep for a while, and give plenty of water. I would skip the first meal, and wait 2 hours after the normal time, building up your dogs appetite. The give her/him some food, and it should work.

Hope this helps!

Firefly answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Messina ♥

How about changing the diet? I think its great to give your dog different things to eat, just like a person, a dog will also get bored of eating the same kibble day in and out. I rotate my dogs on various kibble, sometimes home cooked food, and even raw. Knock on wood, they both have great appetites and strong tummies. I think its good to get your pooch used to eating everything (that's healthy of course!) Good luck :)

♥ Messina ♥ answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

BOO

MAY I SUGGEST YOU FIRST TAKE HER TO THE VET AND MAKE SURE SHE IS HEALTHY AND DOES NOT HAVE A BLOCKAGE OR SOME OTHER PROBLEM, THEN ASK THE VET IF HE IS OK WITH THE FOOD YOU ARE GIVING HER, ALSO YOUR ROUTINE FOR HER

BOO answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer