Xena

What can I do about my dogs itchy spot?

My Rottie has a dry itchy spot on her lower back that she bites on alot. We have checked for bugs, changed shampoo and have even tried that sour spray to try to make her stop but she still continues. What else can I do?

Asked by Xena on May 5th 2009 Tagged itchyspot, biting in Skin Problems

Best Answer

Hello Itchy dog! Many times spots on our hind end are Allergy Related .... Food or the Environment.....
Here are some things you can try:

1. Baking Soda Bath - place your tub 1/2 full of Warm water and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of baking soda - Place cups of this mix over your dogs back end. Do this 2-3 x per month. No need to rinse this off.

2. Add some Olive oil to your food / 1 teaspoon to 2 teaspoons per day ( as tolerated) Mix into your dog food

3. Try SoJo grain free doggie cooking - Have your mom or dad become a pet chef;
see here: www.sojos.com

4. Try this Allergy supplement - wafers or they make it is a powder, too
www.apluspetcare.com

Good luck little one!!!

Miss Priss answered on May 5th.

Answers

Has the vet done scrapings? If not, have it done. Otherwise, cut out the baths and give her a good brushing every day with a soft bristled brush. I seldom if ever bathe a dog.

You can ask your vet if it's due to allergies of some sort. Our doberman reacted this way when he was allergic to something in his food, during the time he wasn't on grain-free food.

I only use solid gold shampoo or miracle coat shampoo.
Flea, medicated shampoos can make them itch or worse, sores.
Make sure she gets flea preventative like Frontline. Don't use sour spray as this will make her itch more and it hurts. Try those shampoo's I listed and rinse very good. Also her diet, dogfood can make this problem come about. Try a better dogfood that is grain free like EVO or Wellness. I think wellness has some coupons online avail. If anything first I would make sure with the vet it isn't mites, they can do a skin scrap and test that first.

Opie

The problem could be diet related. Just as with humans, dogs can develop allergies OVERTIME. This means something that has never bothered her before could suddenly start to. Check the ingredients on the dog food. Most have fillers such as corn, wheat, and rice. Of these, corn is the worst. It is in many comercial foods too. I had to go on food that has NONE of the above to prevent problems with the anal glands. An added benefit was the out of control shedding problem I also had nearly went away. Try switching to an affordable, higher grade food. I eat Chicken soup and my cousin eats Diamond. It is worth a shot and may be cheaper in the long run to change the diet.

Opie answered on 5/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer