Cassius

What can i add to my dogs dry food to save money??

All 3 of my dogs are on Taste of the Wild puppy food (grain free, roasted venison & bison). I wanted to know what i could add to their dry food & then how much dry food to minus from that to save some money?? They are specifically on this food because one of my dogs developed food allergies at 9 weeks old (hes now 7 months), i was told he could grow out of them but because of the super scary experience we had finding out he was allergic , i dont really want to test out to see if he got over it. No rice can be added since the food is already grain free, & no meats, hes specifically on venison & bison for a reason. & id like it to stay the same with all of them. Ive heard of olive oil added to their diet is healthy but how much?? & how often? And how much food can i subsitute? My two 7 mnth olds eat 3 2/3 cups a day & my 11 week old eats about 1 1/2 cups per day which is recommended on the food bag. I want to make sure they still get the amount of food their auppose to eat.

Asked by Cassius on Sep 8th 2012 in Homemade Food

Answers

I add sweet potatoes to Kali's food, but I don't know how much money that saves. I mix home cooked and kibble because she has food issues also. Good Luck!

You can add some safe table scraps to the food. It is a bit of a money saver. Meaty scraps, if you can. Scraps shouldn't take up more than about 20% of the diet.

It's generally best to feed less than the recommended amount--the company is out to make a profit, after all.
What should ultimately determine how much they eat is their body condition--if they seem to be getting pudgy, cut back some. If they seem to be getting skinny, add some.

You can add venison and bison meat in his food. You can add sweet potato, white potato, pumpkin, plain Greek yogurt or steamed vegetables to his diet. If you want to add olive oil, you add 2-3 tablespoons for each meal and mix into the kibble.