Rooney

What can cause dogs (puppies) to have loose stools?

I adopted an australian shepherd on March 10th. He had giardia, was prescribed an antibiotic medicine and his stools returned to normal. Now he's back to having soft stools again. I sent in a sample after two weeks and they said it tested negative. What else can be causing this? I have been feeding him the same food for 5 weeks now...Iam Lamb & Rice for 1+ year old dogs (red bag)...

Karen

Asked by Rooney on Apr 16th 2009 Tagged loosebowels, stools in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

cinch

My australian shepherd also suffered from loose stools until I took him off of a lamb and rice dog food diet.

cinch answered on Apr 16th.

Answers

There are several causes. Giardia and other parasites is one of the most common one. Sometimes it takes testing and retesting to find all of them. I never had a problem in 19 puppies that I couldn't control, often with help from my vet. I never had to change food.

Sudden changes of diet, including things they mange to forage on their own cause it. Usually is you shut off the source, they settle back down before long.

I have read overfeeding cause it. No personal experience there because I keep my puppies lean.

You can worry your dog sick. If you are highly stressed, it flows down the leash to the dog.

I am sure others will suggest a different food. There may be dogs that don't do well on Iams. It is rare. It it is a common problem, it would be the chow of choice for service dogs. If you are struggling with cleaning up after him, imagine what it would be like if you were visually impaired or in a wheel chair. soft stools are intolerable for a service dog.

maybe the lamb in the food is not agreeing with him. You can switch over 50/50 to a less rich diet. Iams also has corn in it, and if he has been sick it may irritate his tummy.
You can feed solid gold brand, it has several types and it is good food. I don't have much experience with too many foods.
I wouldn't feed any extra either til tummy settles, you can use some Kaeopectate for dirrehea on dogs, I would get dosage from vet.

The Pawsee

Iams isn't the best dog food, it has corn and fillers in it. Go to our forums under Food and Nutrition and you can put up a post about a good food that doesnt have corn and fillers.

I feed my dogs grain free dog food.

The Pawsee answered on 4/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Hello - Too many fillers in the food - Do your research and you will see the food you are using is full of Junk....
I know you want your dog to thrive.
Get a good food like the following:
Innova PUPPY
Wellness Puppy
Merrick puppy
Solid gold puppy
So many quality foods that have No corns and junk fillers in them.

Also, a good vitamin to help build the immune system : NuVET is a natural Canine supplement - great for dogs that have had parvo or even giardia..
www.nuvet.com
Try the wafers for 60 days and see how they help!
Don't buy the pet tabs from the vet or pet store...they are full of sugar.
Need more help : stop by -
All Experts - Dog food experts:
www.allexperts.com