What can be done about a dog who is chewing his leg?

My 3 lb Chihuahua has been chewing his own leg to nearly a bloody stump for about 8 months now. I have tried changing his food to grain free thinking it was grain allergy, putting the cone on his head to keep him from chewing it. The cone just led to acid reflux so now he smells like dog vomit much of the time.

Asked by Member 1131949 on Sep 22nd 2012 Tagged chewing, allergies in Behavior & Training

Answers

what does your vet say? he really needs to go to a good vet. usually this is a phychological problem. the dog may have to have further tests to detect why he is doing it. This would be caused not by food. but however a good diet with salmon might help. If he has allergies then a vet might suggest a better diet with fish as a test run. but I do think a vet is needed to answer this question

Leg chewing is tough- like Bianca mentioned, it's usually more mental than physical. Think of it like doggy OCD or an addiction. Bruno works on his wrists sometimes- thank goodness he's never gotten to point of causing real damage, but it's really annoying. What I've noticed is that he licks more when stressed, frustrated, or bored.

You could try wrapping the leg he works most on, and maybe giving him more exercise/activities so he's not bored and just sitting around chewing. If he's really tired from running/playing he might not be so motivated to lick.