What breeds of dogs are good with cats?

My dad decided that he wants to buy a dog for the family. The problem is that we have a cat, who is 8.5 years old. He approached me in particular to try to find out what breeds of dogs get along well with cats?

-Jason Lombardi

Asked by Member 538823 on Nov 30th 2007 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Lady Ivana (Porscha) Pierrah

Different dogs are different with cats. It all depends on the combination. I wouldn't pick to much of an aggressive dog, probably a dog that has the same of the cat's personality.

Lady Ivana (Porscha) Pierrah answered on 11/30/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Kaiden *aka BOO*, PAWS

I don't believe there is a particular breed one can say is always good with cats...kids, people, babies, etc. Your dad's best bet is to adopt from a shelter. They put the dogs through "tests" so that a person who wishes to adopt a dog they know who the dog is compatible with. They will have paperwork on the door of the kennel listing whether the dog is compatible with other dogs, cats, children, etc. All dogs are different. A puppy will learn to get along with cat through the adjustment process. Puppies are all "moldable". Older dogs are "set in their ways" and typically already have their minds set as to what they like and don't like. That's not to day they can't be trained to changes their personalities. It's just a lot more work that unless you have the time wouldn't be worth signing on for.

I hope this helps.

Kaiden *aka BOO*, PAWS answered on 11/30/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I'd say that any dog that was raised and socialized right would be good with cats. Except Whippets, Greyhound, Boirzois, and other sighthounds. They were bred to hunt smalle animals. Collies have a general nature to protect things smaller than themselves, so a Collie may work fur you.

Kobi

I dont think theres a specific breed that goes good with cats if you get it a puppy from a breeder (which is better than petshops cuz some petshops buy puppys from puppymills),
and the puppy is introduced to the cat at an early age it will raise getting along with cats.
and if you get a shelter dog (and if you do your saving a life ), you should check the dogs history and see if it was raised with cats....hope this helps.

Kobi answered on 11/30/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

try pomeranians they are often sweet and are really small so he couldn't really hurt the cat too bad if they would some how fight.

Any breed of dog can get get along with a cat. It all depends on how you raise it as a puppy. Many people have a fear of pits and think they will attack anything, yet I have met many that don't fit that mold. They live with cats, other dogs and kids. If you get a dog as a puppy you can have a happy home with both dog and cat.

Odie-Wan-Kenobi  CGC

hmm, well some people say that Terriers aren't good with cats but my dog is a terrier and he gets along great with my cat so it all depends on the dog i guess. If you are going to get a dog from a breeder ask the breeder if he socializes his puppies with cats. If the puppies are socialized with cats from a young age then they should get along great. If your adopting from a shelter then ask the shelter staff if the dog gets along with cats, they will probably know. also make sure that your dads cat gets along with what ever dog you choose

Odie-Wan-Kenobi CGC answered on 11/30/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Ellie

I would reccomend a labrador. Labs are great family dogs and get along with pretty much anything when trained correctly. As puppies they are quite rambunctious but again when disciplined are GREAT dogs!

Ellie answered on 11/30/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Beanie

Any breed can be good or bad with cats. I would say go to Petfinder.com to look for a dog in a local rescue and the foster usually knows if the dog is good with cats. If you are going to a breeder avoid Hounds or Hunters , their instentic is to go for tiny fur ball like creature.
-Beanie

Beanie answered on 11/30/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

bowie [never forgotten]

if you are getting a rescue dog find one that has been with cats before. avoid ones like greyhounds, jack russels and the type that like to chase. maybe a labrador or a poodle which tend to be placid dogs. i have had all rescue dogs with my cats and no problems. check the shelter has introduced him to cats to check his reaction a good rescue centre will do that for you.

bowie [never forgotten] answered on 12/3/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer