What breed should I look for?

I will be getting a puppy in a few months. I want to adopt one, but I don't even know what breed to look for!

I am pretty experienced with dogs, but would not like any 'challenging' breeds like dobermans or huskies.

I live in a rural area, exercise for about an hour a day, have other dogs and cats, no small children.

I really want to find the ideal dog for me, so here are a list of traits I'd like my dog to have-

Affectionate- NOT aloof or stubborn.

Smart and Eager to Please- Will be training him obediance and lots of tricks.

Somewhat friendly towards strangers- Does not need to be everyone's best friend.(But not mean!)

Not a scent tracker! Have had scenthounds before and they were constantly getting distracted.

Preferably not a difficult coat.

Medium in size.(But will go any size for temperament)

Not a couch potato, but not bouncing off the walls insane.

More than anything, this dog will be a companion for me. I want him to stay with me, to want to be with me.

Thank you

Asked by Member 1141306 on Nov 18th 2012 Tagged choosing, breed, companion, affectionate, smart, loyal in Breeds

Answers

Angel

Have you considered adopting a German shepherd? They are a larger dog but embody many of the traits you are looking for. Puppies are cute, but can be challenging. You could probably find a young adult shepherd near you that might even already be trained. We just found the perfect shepherd on petfinder.com.

Angel answered on 11/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

How about an English Cocker Spaniel? They are excellent companion dogs. They are very affectionate and are usually good with everyone that they meet. They are intelligent and eager to please. They do need to be brushed often and bathed every once in a while and have their ears cleaned out often. They are medium sized dogs. They aren't couch potatoes but they aren't "bouncing off the wall" type dogs either. They have a medium activity level and enjoy all the exercise that you can provide them with.

If you do get an English Cocker Spaniel, I recommend getting one from a reputable breeder.

Rain

Judjing by what you've listed, I would reccomend a lab or golden for you. Theyre smart, calm yet active, good with dogs and usually other pets, loyal, not scent trackers, medium sized, will protect if needed but generally good with people. It seems that you'd have the time to give them the excercize that they need, and these dogs are always up for a little walk or romp in the yard. Hope this helped, Best regards!

Rain answered on 11/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer