What are the side effects of deworming a puppy?

Our puppy is 8 weeks old and was dewormed yesterday. She has only had water today, has slept 99% of the day and has loose stool (worms coming out) and has zero appetite - is this normal?

Asked by Member 997292 on Jul 17th 2010 Tagged deworming, puppy, appetite in Puppies

Answers

Ginger-  M.I.A.

Worming can cause gastrointestinal upset and lack of appetite, along with the drowsiness. I think this is normal, but if she doesn't improve by tomorrow, I might call a vet. Some over-the-counter dewormers (sold in farm and pet stores) are more toxic than the ones the vet will give you. Overdosing is also very serious, and can happen when break up an adult dose (or sheep or horse dose!) into smaller ones. Did you do that?

So I say, yes, this normal, but it's not normal if she doesn't improve quickly.

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 7/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the above answer.

When we de-wormed Jack at around 2 months, he was very lethargic and he had severe diarrhea. A lot of well meaning people tried to tell us this was the worms leaving his body, but honestly, he didn't even have symptoms of worms; he'd been adopted at the shelter and they couldn't recall if he'd been de-wormed or not and it wasn't in his record, so our vet suggested we do it again, just in case.

He had panacur, a very common de-worming agent, but they are mostly all very similar.

They can cause dehydration, vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness and just a general feeling of being unwell. In cases of overdosage (too much given to a small or young dog), they can also have a fever and it can be serious.

I think since your dog does have worms, her body is likely being taxed even more, between the worms and the medication that kills them.

I agree that if she's not showing signs of improvement by tomorrow or if you see anything worsening call the vet.

self worming? or vet?
have vet worm only once. Unfortunely, you must let the worms flush out, make sure he is at least drinking water that is good.
After the worms are out he may be a little sluggish and not so hungry.
Once the vet worms him and then usually a few wks or same day he will give you a once a month preventative.
I would mix in a little canned food to just tempt him. Feed small meals about 3 x a day, the small meals are easier to digest and gives him the nutrient he needs for a baby.At 8wks also his teeth are very small and new so dampen the food slightly, it might be his teeth hurting too.
good luck