Diesel

What are some good strong dog collars

What are some good strong dog collars. My boys have gone through quite a few dog collars and so i am looking for some that have a buckle or a metal clasp.

Asked by Diesel on Nov 12th 2009 Tagged strongdogcollars in Collars & Leashes

Answers

K-10 Von Canein

You'll probably never find a good one at Sprawl-Mart or at a cheap pet store. If you are lucky enough to live in a city, have heard of a city, or know a friend who does, check in that city's Yellow pages. Find a trainer who trains police and protection dogs. They normally will have collars and leashes that even a Diesel Powered dog can't break!

K-10 Von Canein answered on 11/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

this is a reputable pet supply/vet supply company I have always had good luck with. I use them for goat/horse/ and of course dog products. There are 239 items listed for leads and collars, you might find a suitable one here:

www.upco.com

When Aster returned to live with us, I wanted a simple, sturdy leather collar for her. None of the half dozen stores I looked at had what I wanted. The shipping kills you on little stuff online.

I finally bought a much too large one at Wal*Mart and cut it down. Using a flat tipped metal punch, you can make neat holes in leather. I have several smaller collars I move puppies up through that I made out of a sheet of leather.

Lola Penelope

I find leather ones the most sturdy and long lasting. 1 important thing tho, is if you have more than 1 dog, and they rough house and grab each other collars, is to take them off when not being supervised. About 4 months ago Lola was playing with another dog, & the other dog got his jaw stuck in her collar. He was so freaked out he was screaming and released his anal glads in fear. Because he screamed (& I mean SCREAMED) I was alerted from another room and came running. Lola's eyes were bulging & she wasn't able to breath. The quick release was in the other pups mouth so it took me a lot longer then it should of to release the collar from his mouth & around her neck, & another 3-5 seconds for Lola to take a breath after it was released. I also ended up with a bloody hand. Both dogs were fine after, but a friend of mine had to cut a buckle collar off a dog for the same thing, that dog suffocated and died :( If this is the reason ur dogs go thru collars so quickly, keep this in mind.

Lola Penelope answered on 11/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Lupine are the best collars ever! If you dog chews them or if it tears up, you get your money back or get to trade for a new collar. There has never been a problem with my Lupine collars. The website is www.lupinepet.com

Hershey Bear

I know of a few good Collar-making companies, with very friendly and accommodating owners.

www.collarmania.com

www.ellaslead.com

www.pacocollars.com

Hershey Bear answered on 5/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

there is durable collars in various widths at www.rayallen.com
www.hallmarkk9.com
Thick leather double stitch collars are the best, they last for years.
Also the fur savers last for many years too, that's all I use for work and show.

Ashlyn

I have found that combo collars work then best for me with training. With long walks, I use a soft but strong harness. Combo collars can be found at petsmart, they are like a normal threaded collar. But they have a chain attatched to both ends. It doesnt hurt the dog, the chain actually doesnt even touch them. It just gives you an advantage and it scares them to hear the chain tighten. I have two Siberian Huskies, and they both learned to mind their manners on a leash with the combo collar.

Ashlyn answered on 11/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

DogGoneSmart makes a very sturday collar, it's treated with a type Nanotechnolgy too which is safe and environmentally friendly, and stays clean for a LONG time! There is accompanying harness and leash as well.
store.doggonesmartbed.com

I've had good experience with leather collars and Lupine collars. My dad was in the K9 department for many years and he used leather collars (and leads) for not only his German Shepherds, but also our Rottweilers.
Also, if you're looking for something that you can walk your dog in and he won't pull out of (since strong dogs can bust out of traditional collars with pulling), I would highly recommend either an Easy-Walk or Sense-ible/Sense-ation harness. This will reduce the risk of cervical injuries with dogs that pull - we use them at the shelter I volunteer at and it gently and effectively stops the dogs from pulling so that we can teach them loose-leash walking skills.

Caleigh Anne

I agree with Ashlyn - I too use a combo collar for Caleigh, it's the only one she hasn't broken yet, it's part material collar with a peice of chain in the middle, slips right over her head, the loop you connect the leash to is on the chain part, I got mine at Pet Supplies Plus, mine is red, they probably come in other colors, but I could only find red and black at the time (I picked red). It works similar to a choke chain as it does tighten when the dog pulls on it, but will not damage the dogs trachea or wind pipe, as where a choke chain can kill a dog if the dog pulls too hard. My vet recomended it to me as a safe alternative to a choke chain.

Caleigh Anne answered on 4/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bella

I have the White Pines semi-slip collars for my guys or the Mes Amis limited slip collar. Both are the same thing, just Mes Amis seems to be slightly wider and offer a few more colors. I have several weight pulling and dog sledding Alaskan malamutes and I have never had one of these collars fail, no matter how hard the dog yanks on their drop chains waiting to be hooked up to the sled. The other nice thing about these collars is that they 1) don't cut the coat at all and therefore are good for show dogs and 2) the colors don't bleed all over your dog when it gets wet. Being tubular nylon it also feels nice on your hand if you have to grab it.

Bella answered on 4/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Skye

Plenty of the good catalogs carry heavy double ply nylon collars made out of webbing with heavy duty brass buckles. This is the same type of material used to rig safety lines and attachment points when rock climbing. No dog is going to break it - your arm would be ripped from your body first.They will have leashes of similar construction.

Skye answered on 7/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mr. Bentley

we found one with a metal clasp at petco. we live in new england, but I am sure they have a website. we have a blue tick beagle and he is pretty strong.....only comfortable with the metal clasp, not many around. good luck!

Mr. Bentley answered on 9/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Choke collars, prong collars, leather or nylon. Whatever.

conan

hello
its a toss up between a prong training collar and a double ply wide collar. my am staff stud wears both. he destroys nylon like its going out of style. two inch wide double ply works best. you can get them from Karma Collars. the price is average 60$

conan answered on 6/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chewy

Check out www.chewyandfriends.com...you may find what you are looking for there...

Chewy answered on 9/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer