What are some fun things to do inside when its to hot to play out side?

I'm running out of things to do with Ein inside the house. We normally play outside during the cool months in Arizona but the summer just sucks here.

Any good idea's are welcome

Asked by Member 747865 on May 13th 2009 in Books & Entertainment

Best Answer

Odie-Wan-Kenobi  CGC

I set up little agility courses for Odie. I use cardboard boxes that he stands on and little chairs for him to jump over and my cats cardboard scratching post box as a ramp. He's a little dog so it's easy to set things up for him that won't collapse. some other things I've done is bobbing for liver www.youtube.com and playing hide and seek with him.

Odie-Wan-Kenobi CGC answered on May 13th.

Answers

If you have a large room, fetch works fairly well. If you do tug of war and chase, it can be done inside too.

I often do outdoor fundraisers in the summer time. I am very liberal about wetting the dog down. Wet dogs can take quit ea bit of heat. With Arizona's dry climate, it should be more effective although perhaps needing to have water applied more often. I find even Labs don't like having water poured on them. It is alos important to have plenty of drinking water. Often my fundraising means selling pop. That means plenty of ice cubes for the puppies.

Aster often took her turn with the younger dogs too.

Stormy

You can use the summer to work on cute tricks to learn like standing on a stool with all 4 paws, or wave, wevaing through your legs, high five, sitting pretty/begging, fetch.. there are endless tricks that would keep you busy forever!!!!

If you want to stimulate his body as well as his mind, you should invest in a few interactive toys like Busy Buddies!! They dispence food but your dog has to work at them!! www.busybuddytoys.com

You can feed meals or judt hide the toy around the house if you leave and he can feed himself or keep himself busy for awhile!!

Ive played fetch in the house- frisbee, Ive even made a makeshift Chase It toy and the dogs love that. Just tied a plastic bag to a horse lunge whip. www.chaseitpettoys.com
Tug is always fun too.

Or you could just take Einstein to a nearby river, lake or beach and teach him to swim! It will keep him cool plus its GREAT exercise for them!!!

Stormy answered on 5/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My dogs will only play with toys indoors, so that's mostly what we do. But then one of my dogs is small and thus can get just about as crazy as he wants to, and Cookie's always been rather careful and now that she's old she doesn't do anything too strenuous anymore.
One thing that you can get if play hide-n-seek. I have an indoor Easter egg hunt with my dogs every Easter, and they enjoy themselves and catch on rather quickly. I filled the plastic eggs with treats (in our case, hot dogs). You can do this or something similar anytime.

Bandit

We live in the hot southwest too and I set up the sprinkler and a pool for Bandit and Sativa to play in outside. Inside we play fetch, tug of war, hide treats for them to find, feed them out of there kongs so it takes longer for them to eat, and make treat boxes(cardboard box closed and they have to get them open to get the treats out). Summers here are hard when it get 100+ degrees.

Bandit answered on 5/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sassy

I wash the dogs and take them for a walk to dry them off but the pavement can be too hot even on wet feet. Might work early or late in the day though. I have a cement mixing trough that is very sturdy to use as a mini dog pool. Both dogs will chase floating cookies and just jump in and out.

Wish I had room for a Chase It game in my house, that is the BEST game ever. Do that if you have room!

Try the recall game inside. Give everybody in the house some dog cookies and have them go into different rooms. Take turns calling the dog from room to room. If your dog can fetch then add mail delivery to the game. My dogs love this and don't have to have good cookies as rewards either.

Sassy answered on 5/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer