What age should I breed my two Olde English Bulldogs?

My best friend has a male Olde English Bulldogge, and I was looking for a puppy at that time so I purchased a female, we got an idea to breed them, just 1 litter, I am expirienced but I am not 100% sure what age she should be.

Asked by Member 769709 on Apr 6th 2010 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

If you don't know, then don't breed her. You need to educate yourself more. Read books, talk to breeders, and get involved with a good breeder who can teach you what it takes to be a responsible breeder. Especially, from what I understand, Bull Dogs have complications with delivery.

www.woodhavenlabs.com

hubpages.com

Everyone wants to have "just one litter".
In the long run, so many dogs end up homeless from the "just one litters" that it ends up being thousands and thousands of litters.
Please spay your baby and read the links. Thanks.

♥Molly♥

...

bulldogs have an EXTREMELY hard time during labor and almost ALWAYS require a c-section because of breathing problems and their puppies heads are almost too blocky to fit through the birth canal and they end up getting stuck and that is why they almost ALWAYS end up with a c-section. another reason is- you have absolutly no rights to be breeding if you DO NOT even know the answer to your own question. do you have the money to take care of the puppies after they are born and the mom? are you prepared for complications INCLUDING the possible death of your female and all her puppies? BTW just one litter is still TOO MANY. with your inexperience half if not ALL of your puppies will end up in shelters, no doubt. we have already too many dogs in shelters and in this world from over breeding. please don't make the euthanasia rate sky rocket even higher. spay and neuter your bulldogs and it'll be easier on the mom, the dad, the puppies and you.

♥Molly♥ answered on 4/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Are you aware that there is a multitude of health testing ($$$$$) which needs to be done and certified on both parents prior to breeding and most of these certifications cannot be done until the dogs are two years old. Are you knowledgable enough about their pedigrees to make sure you are not breeding dogs from parents who both carry the same ressesive genetic faults which can result in a litter of epileptic or crippled or blind puppies??? Before any dogs are bred you need a thorough understanding and knowledge of ALL the dogs in the background of both male and female and what they produce, be it good or bad. This kind of understanding takes years to develop and breeding two dogs without this knowledge can produce disasters. Are you also aware that as the owner of the female YOU will be responsible for any problems the pups may have... ever hear of puppy lemon laws???
Obviously you are not "expirienced" enough if you don't even know how old they have to be! Get her spayed!

If you don't know the proper age to breed then you are not experienced.
Do you know Bulldogs need c-sections 98% of the time?
Have the dogs fixed.

"I am experienced, but I am not 100% sure what age she should be."

Then you're most certainly not experienced.

Please leave the breeding to those who really are experienced.

I have to agree if you asking about breeding then it's a no.
How do you know that the bulldog doesn't have a doggie std?
That does exist.
And what do you know about it?? don't do it.
Most people think they will be rich breeding dogs. And most people do this for dogs that fetch 1500.00-2000.00 in the pet stores.
It is not that simple. And most of the dogs in pet stores come from puppy mills and byb's. Where did the dogs even come from that you both have??
Do you even know what lines you have? Are the dogs related to one another? Are they 2 yrs old with eyes, hips and elbows certified?
Do they also have show titles?
If even one of the health requirements above are a no answer then neither one of you should ever breed those dogs.
There is so much one should know before hand.