Buddy

we've had a death in our family and now buddy will be alone for 8 hours is that fair? should I hire a dog walker?

Asked by Buddy on Apr 25th 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Yes, you should hire a dog walker.

Chase

Dogs are incredible at adapting.
Is Buddy kenneled while you're gone? Or does he have roam of the house?
I would probably hire a dog walker (even if it's an every other day thing to break up the monotony).
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Chase answered on 4/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Shasta

I think you should, even just for every other day or a couple times a week. Try to find one who would form a good bond with him so he feels special to be with them. I do a lot of dog-walking for my neighbors, and I treat the dogs as if they were my own. The owners absolutely love how close the dogs & I get.

Best Regards! =D

Shasta answered on 4/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bailey

I agree, you should hire a dog walker but you only need to do it a few times a week. If possible, try to walk with him/her a few times before they do it on their own to ease your dog into the transition.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Bailey answered on 4/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

OK, I will buck the trend. A dog alone for 8 hours is fine. If he is housebroken & can be trusted there is no problem. Dogs do not know "fair" they only know what "is". They are adaptable & resilient. Millions of dog owners go to work & leave their dog at home, alone, no doggie cd..& they are fine. Make sure he has had a walk, or some kind of exercise.
I have 2 large dogs & *gasp...I work, sometimes 10 hour days..plus commute time. I get up early & we go for a long walk/run/play time before I leave. We take another shorter walk when I come home.
They do not suffer in the slightest. Dogs can not lay guilt trips on you. They cherish any time they can spend with you.

Ikan

If you can afford it and it would make you feel better. Then yea go ahead. But if it us a couple of days. I am sure your dog would be fine for 8 hours by themselves

Ikan answered on 4/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer