Weaning dog from wet food to dry food

We have rescued a 5 year old overweight and oversized female Sheltie, Jazzy, from a local sheltie rescue. Jazzy has proven to be a particular food connoisseur. Our guess is that in her home before she was surrendered to a kill shelter she was given high fat canned dog food or/and table food. She needs to be weaned off wet food. I have created a general schedule on mixing/reducing the old food with the new food for a period of 10 days. We will be feeding her a ½ cup (mixture) 2x per day. Here comes the question...she also is quite snobby about the times she eats. She only eats when she wants too. We want to train her to eat when we put the food out. What is your advice for accomplishing this small feat? My thoughts were to leave the food down for 10 minutes and then pick it up. If she doesn’t eat within the ten minutes she has to wait till the next meal. No animal or human will intentionally starve themselves, so over time she will eventually eat when we tell her to.

Asked by Member 1080783 on Dec 30th 2011 Tagged food, adoption, rescue, wean, wet, dry in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Dogs do do best with eating at a certain time, but I get you, sometimes you can't feed them on time. I actually tend to only roughly follow the schedule thing myself.
You pretty much got it. Good plan.

I think your plan is fine. I would do pretty much the same thing you are trying to do. Good luck