we have black great dane male...he is 32 inch ht 9 months at shoulder...does he grow more....advise good food..

pedigree ,royal canin are available ....not others available in india

Asked by Member 848731 on Sep 17th 2009 in Great Dane

Answers

Hi, you did not mention the age of your dog. Giant breed dogs grow for a much longer period of time than smaller dogs, I believe well into age 2. I'll let someone with giant breed experience expand on that...

I would go with the Pedigree, but likely the Royal Canin is OK too. I am afraid much of the advice on the net on food comes from those selling it.

Check the ends of the leg bones. If they are still much knobbier than an adult's, the growth plates are still open and it is still growing. If not, do not expect much more growth.

You may find this link interesting, jn.nutrition.org

Farley

I would recommend something better, but seeing how those are the only 2 brands available where you live, I would recommend the Royal Canin (Maxi Large Breed puppy formula.) And I would recommend feeding it until your Great Dane is 2 years old, and feel free to add some real meat now and then to his diet as well. Stay away from Pedigree.

Farley answered on 9/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you're going to go with commercial food, Royal Canin is probably the better choice. That said, look at the ingredients. The one with meat as the first ingredient is the one to go with.
You could also make him a homeprepared diet. I personally feed homeprepared raw, and I'm personally never going back to commercial dog food after seeing the results. There's also homecooked. There are tons of articles on the internet about both raw and homecooked. In addition, Dogster has a forum for each where you can talk to those who feed the diet. In the raw forum, look for Gio's post titled "So you are interested in starting raw...".

Aster:
"I am afraid much of the advice on the net on food comes from those selling it."
Perhaps, perhaps not. At any rate, my advice on dog food is based mostly on my (limited) experience. The rest I deem common sense...again, dogs are carnivores therefore a meat-based diet is best for them.
At any rate, the marketing argument could go either way...what if the advice *you* recieved was some form of marketing? You never know.

"I am afraid much of the advice on the net on food comes from those selling it. "

I agree!...For example I've come to the conclusion that Aster works for Purina...You really need to do your own research on what is a good food & not take anyone's word for it...Why not make your dog a profile & go over to the food & nutrition forum on Dogster...There are a lot of helpful folks there who have no investment in what you feed your dog other than them wanting your dog to be healthy!