we got a 7month old male chiweenie yesterday he hides under the desk wont come out try to go near him he growls shakes

Asked by Member 1155804 on Feb 18th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

He's afraid of you. This is fear aggression, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be aggressive all the time. I would call whoever you got him from to ask if this is his usual behavior around strangers/in strange places. I would want to know a lot more about his history, observations about his behavior or personality, any suggestions the previous owner/shelter/rescue/breeder can offer, and I would specifically ask if he's ever bitten anyone.

At home, I would sit on the floor, talk nicely but quietly, move slowly, make sure the area is safe and not very active, and try bribing with treats. Make sure he has access to food and water. When he feels safe, he'll come out, but it sounds like it's going to be some time before you gain his trust.

This would be a really good question for a forum, actually. There are loads of really knowledgeable people who can give more detailed and interactive suggestions.

most likely he had abusive experiences prior to meeting you as known to be stranger like others or similar human being that abused him that he trusted.

Anyhow you need to be patient and don't force anything on him, no loud noises, no big movements, no louse music, just everything VERY SLOW, CALM, like treat him like a new born baby... or avery old senior, very slow and calm... and lots of patiences, be around, let him stay under where he feels safe because their is cover, it acts like a crate a safe place and just wait, you may leave a toy outside his cage and first in a calm voice say come boy, come here its ok, and most likely he will still be shaking then just leave the toy outside near his cage/desk and wait it may take months until he feels OK I'm very scared but I'll give it a little try and when he takes the toy and retrieves it to his safe place, gently say good boy but not being too aggressive and fast, do not go near him to pat him, TAKE THINGS SLOW,he really had it rough b4