Flip

Ways to keep my puppy entertained?

Flip is a four-month old staffy x Australian kelpie so she's not small nor big, but has a lot of energy. My partner and I walk her twice a day and play with her for at least two hour every night. We work full-time so during the day she's inside with the cat (who won't play doggie with her, which is very upsetting to Flip).

We've just got some large clam shells and filled them with dirt and water to bury things in; my question is, what more of these sorts of ideas do you folks have? We love playing and spending time with her but we need ways for her to entertain herself too (so we can do things like eat and shower).

She's not so keen on Kongs, either, she seems to get too frustrated and then bored! She loves bones, though I don't want to give her too many.

Asked by Flip on Feb 3rd 2013 Tagged play in Puppies

Answers

Ugh..PLEASE IGNORE the PREVIOUS comment!

Toss the food bowl and feed her from food dispensing toys. It will tire her out mentally and it will give you time to do things. I also suggest Bully sticks, cow and lamb ears as well as tracheas for chewing (all fully digestible unlike rawhides). There isn't any problem with giving her these to chew on, it is better to chew on these 'bones' than your furniture and such. ;)
Balls that dispense treats and stuffing free squeaky toys are also fun.

Lexus

Great advice from Obie. Oh please ignore the first posters "advice"
Bully sticks and Nyla bones or things like these are great for them to kill some time and energy on.
My dogs also love to rip apart stuffed animals but you wouldn't want to leave them alone with a stuffie because of choking hazard reasons among other things.

Lexus answered on 2/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Member 449 needs to stop spouting this misinformation & bull-hooey! Dogs absolutely need walking, playing, exercise. And drive has nothing to do with training.
That said kelpies are high drive working dogs. So yes..they will be off the wall.
OP..great start, and good advice from Obie & Lexus.
Nosework can be a great way to tire out her mind. You can take classes, or just hide yummy treats for her to find. Flirt poles are also great. You can make one with an old broom handle or piece of pvc pipe. A bootlace, or old bungee cord, & an old stuffie..the stuff-less ones work best.
Great job thinking of these things early..before her energy gets out of control.