Sheldon

Water: How can I get my dogs to drink more?

Lately, three out of six of my dogs have really yellow pee and it's almost like a light orange and I want them to drink more water. I don't want to always give them milk knowing that their pee is like that because I know milk isn't going to hydrate them like how water does. They pee a lot but it's the color I'm worried about or should I even worry? Because I feel like it's not normal. If I'm not home, I do leave plenty of water for them to drink but I still see this kind of color. How can I get my three dogs to drink more without forcing them, scaring them or making them not want to drink at all.

Asked by Sheldon on Jan 6th 2011 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

King Jackal Jackson

You should definitely consult with your veterinarian about your concerns because none of us have the ability to diagnose your dogs, especially via the internet. Meanwhile, you could offer them diluted chicken broth (without salt or anything added).

King Jackal Jackson answered on 1/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stop giving your dogs milk and only supply water. Yellow pee is a sign your dogs aren't getting enough water, so keep the milk out of the dog dishes.
Dogs have lactose intolerance (can't properly digest dairy) diarrhea is common when milk is given to dogs.

Riley

I now know that MILK is a bad thing for dogs to drink!...if drunk a lot can lead to many things!...

If you let them drink milk all the time and not give them water and then give them water theres more of a chance that he already used to drinking MILK..But I agree with the posters above me say!

Riley answered on 1/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Exercise, will increase water intake. Even just a brisk 20 minute walk will help the dog's response to cool off and drink fluids.
no, to milk, it might give them tummy upset and dirrehea. :(

I add fresh water to my dogs kibble, expecially in the winter when the air is dryer and they need more fluids. I use a cup of water for each cup of food.

Twizzler

A vet check up couldn't hurt and is always recommended.
Continue to supply fresh drinking water at all times. Filtered water is good and you should also consider a fountain such as the drinkwell fountain for dogs! The fountain filters and keeps the water moving which in return can help dogs drink more water. Also, try adding canned food to their diet. They will get more moisture in their diet that way! I suggest trying Nutro's canned food line! They have a great variety and use natural ingredients with added vitamins and minerals. They believe in putting pets first and that natural foods are healthier, fresher, safer, and tastier!
Check out their website at:
www.TheNutroCompany.com

Twizzler answered on 1/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer