Very Hyper Black lab!

I have a 4 year old Black pure bred Lab that is too hyper! I don't mean normal hyper, I mean beyond hyper! She runs 3 hours a day, its out all day with 2 of her siblings and is out from 4:30 am to 8:30 pm. She is so hyper to the point where last month she tore her knee tendon bc she simply wouldn't stop jumping. She has excelled in obedience classes, thats not the issue. If you ignore her, she jumps up and down high enough to your eye level. Any help? Any food I could potentially put her on?!?!?!!? I have a 2 year old male lab and hes a couch potato!

Asked by Member 1153069 on Feb 1st 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Labradors are bred to be people dogs. Leaving her out all day in a pen with no structure is not going to do anything except make her more hyper. She needs a job to do and somebody to do it with her. I would continue with the obedience classes possibly even start showing her in obedience so that she has something she herself can do. Good luck.

Phantom

If she's great at obedience, you should move her onto agility. It sounds like she is extremely hyper and people oriented. You're going to have to wear her out both physically and mentally. Just having her run around for hours at a time may not be enough. Give her something to do, something she has to think about. You might try starting with a tunnel, since I doubt you'd want her jumping a whole lot when she just tore a tendon. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Phantom answered on 2/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Labs are working dogs. While many of them are content to just play and hang with their families, many of them need a job. Breed characteristics go only so far and then personality takes over. You could try training in agility, hunting, service, search & rescue or protection. That way she would get the attention and mental stimulation she's craving while channeling her athleticism and giving you some peace and a great new experience.