underbites in toy dogs

I have a toy malti poo with an underbite, is there anyway of correcting this..at first her bottom teeth did not stick out..now they are starting to stick out more and more.

Asked by Member 701147 on Aug 12th 2008 Tagged underbites in Health & Wellness

Answers

Zoe

There really is no sure-fire way to correct an underbite. It is how the jaw has grown, which is why it keeps sticking out more and more. It is pretty much something that comes with the dog, stays with the dog, and goes with the dog, which is why the AKC disqualifies dogs who don't have a correct bite. You can't really fix the problem. I have a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix that I rescued, and she too has an underbite. I am going to assume that since your dog is a mixed breed that you won't be showing her. Just enjoy your little Malti-Poo - an underbite really shouldn't affect her life at all.

Zoe answered on 8/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hannah

IF causing a problem with eating, there are a few solutions your Vet may recommend. If this bite issue is purely cosmetic, leave it all alone. ONLY if the issue poses a health problem should you be concerned.
I am assuming your dog is a pet, and not a show/breeding possibility.

Consult with your Vet if you have any specific worries about your dog being able to chew food correctly, ok.

Happy Tails!

Hannah answered on 8/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer