Um...what? Belgian Shepherds? Belgian German Shepherds? I don't get it?

Back a few months ago when my uncle first took the puppies to the vet's office, the vet called said they were purebred but called them "Belgian German Shepherds". And today one of the people who bought one of the puppies fro my uncle called the puppy a "Belgian Shepherd". Um, what? The puppie's mother was a purebred GERMAN Shepherd. The daddy might have been a Belgian though...what do you think? Look at the puppie's page and in their photo book and India's page and photobook to help determine please.
Here is the most current photo that I have access to:
files.dogster.com
It is of the puppy name Princess (on the right) at 15 1/2 weeks old with her new owner's other GSD Dutchess.
For those who don't know, their coloring is not a good indicator. Their coloring is called "sable" and it is a German Shepherd color, though not a common one.

Asked by Member 371549 on Jul 6th 2008 in German Shepherd

Best Answer

The term "Belgian Shepherd" is generally used for one of four breeds: Tervuren, Laekenois, Malinois and Groenendael.

The puppy in the photo looks like a purebred German Shepherd, and the mother looks like a purebred German Shepherd. They look nothing like any of the varieties of Belgian Shepherd, which all have very unique looks to them.

Sable is not at all "uncommon" in the German Shepherd Dog. It's one of the original colors and is extremely commonly found in working line Shepherds coming from Eastern Germany and the Czech Republic. It's not as commonly found in show lines, though. But very common in the breed.

I think the vet who said they're "Belgian Shepherds" is not very knowledgeable about dog breeds if he cannot recognize a German Shepherd that is just a "different" color... I see that a lot with vets getting white or black German Shepherds - they just don't know they come in that color.

Abby answered on Jul 6th.

Answers

They do look a little bit like Belgian Shepherds, do you have any current photos of them with their new families?

Lily

Do you have a picture of the father?

I guess I don't understand how they can be purebred unless they are either GSD or Belgian Shepherd, not a mix of the two.

Lily answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer