Travel & Dog? Help! What do I need to do?

Long story short. Sudden move is going to happen in about a month and a half. I got a dog last month and I need to know what he needs to travel within the US.

I don't know which airline we're going to be going through and I won't be finding out until it's too late to ask (army move).

SO in GENERAL:
What does he need?

(He's 7 pounds, 1yr old pomeranian, just in case that matters and we're going to Puerto Rico OR Florida)
(He will be getting his rabies and final distemper next week)

Asked by Member 1076937 on Dec 28th 2011 Tagged howtotravelwithmydogairplaneride in Air Travel

Best Answer

Generally, dogs need to have an airline-approved travel crate (sized so the dog can stand up, turn around inside it) a health cert from a vet, and prove of current rabies shot (which you can get at the vet next week.)

A pet supply store should carry the appropriate type of crate, just make sure if you plan to bring him as carry-on luggage that it's an approved under-the-seat type. Some airlines have more stringent size rules than others, so go for the smallest one he can still fit in.

Usually you have to call ahead and reserve a space for your pet if he's traveling in-cabin, since they often restrict how many pets they allow. But since you don't know which airline, I don't know what to say. Toto's advice is best about that, consult someone higher up.

Bruno CGC answered on Dec 29th.

Answers

There should be a person responsible for these types of travel connections on your base.
This person would know the information needed and what you have to do to prepare to fly your dog.
I am assuming the flight arrangements will be made for you? I'm not sure how these moves work but if that is the case you need to ask the higher ups and find out who provides this service for you and set it up with them.

Happy

1. Call your airline company which you will be flying with and ask them what sort of requirements they need for your dog to fly.
2. Also you will need to check with Puerto Rico's or Florida's local quarantine dept for documentations you might need to get your dog there.

There start with those 2 first and they will provide you with all necessary answers for all your questions.

Happy answered on 12/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer