CHOKIE  DUKE CRUZ

Training my dog to pee on pad

I have a 8 month old Min Pin. He started off good peeing on the pad...Now all he wants to do is shred the pad and pee around the pad. Now that the temperature is getting warmer, I take him outside after work. He does his business and we go back inside. Any suggestions on how I could get him to start peeing on the pad again.

Asked by CHOKIE DUKE CRUZ on Mar 11th 2010 in Housebreaking

Answers

Coco

I tried teaching my Min Pin Coco to pee on a wee wee pad but she has only done it 2x's. I guess only because she really needed to go. Both times at night. We were told to use Ammonia to encourage her to go on the pad. We did that and that is where she went.

Now she just waits for us to get home to take her out. We walk her 3x's a day even in the winter. She has learned that if she goes quick when its cold, she gets to go home and warm up quick.

Coco answered on 3/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

at this age I think he needs to go outside and it is time to make time to take him out.
Some dogs don't like to go inside it is more natural to go outside and also to explore.
Is there a reason to keep going on the pad versus going outside in the grass?
The pads are temporary training aids not a permanent house toilet.
You can use a cat box with litter or a potty pad that is like a box with grass in it now found at petco.

Pee pads and/or other inside potty places are only good at training your dog to go in the house. They don't teach any type of control at all, and a dog trained to go in the house will go in any house or motel or other place you take the dog. They will use whatever is on the floor... the pad or a newspaper dropped beside your chair or that library book you just took out. It makes much more sense to me to train your dog to go outside and to hold it until he is outside. Yes, it involves a bit of work on you, the owner's part, but nothing in life is free, not even a house trained dog.
I have a hairless Chinese Crested dog and he has gone outside without fail. all Winter long in snow, sleet and dark of night.