Charlie

Toy options for my dog?

My dog chews all the soft chew toys up immediatly after he gets them, even if they are "Proven to be durable"
However, the chew toys he does no damage to, that don't change at all, he becomes bored of that toy after only a couple of minutes.
My dog has a sensitive digestive system and adding one small thing to his diet throws him off, so the KONG things do not work for him.

Any Ideas on what I can give my dog, to keep his attention but without spending money on a new toys all the time?

Asked by Charlie on Jun 24th 2010 Tagged toys, chewing in Toys

Answers

Ginger

Have you tried the nylabone Durable Pooch Pacifier chewable toy? It's virtually indestructable.

Andrea
www.petsarefamily2.wordpress.com

Ginger answered on 6/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brutus

I agree. We love all of the Nylabone products: nylabone.com. They make bones, both edible and non-edible. You can try boiling the non-edible bones in chicken broth, then letting it cool. The taste of the chicken will stick to the bone, making it hours of chewing fun.

Playing and excersising may also help. Just to get him moving and having something to do. You can simply go outside, and throw a ball around. Or take him to a dog park.

There are many toys at different stores. And when you read the package as it says "Durable" really feel the toy and see how strong you really think it is. My dogs are tough chewers, and one of them chewed up a toy made of a fire hose. A groomer we know said that she has never seen a dog chew through that toy!

Anyways, I hope you find Charlie something fun soon. Paw Mail me if you have any more questions about toy or playing reccomendations.

Brutus answered on 6/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gidget

I know what you mean. My youngest dog is the same. She will destroy any toy even the kong.

I too got tired of spending money on these toys just to have her destroy them in a matter of hours or minutes. Now I allow her to bring sticks inside. Its a mess to clean up but it's easy. This satisfies her better than anything.

She likes to chew coke bottles too. Since they are an odd shape, she chews the neck closed but can't pull pieces of plastic off because she can't hold it in her paws, it slips. This keeps her occupied for a little while. Once she has flattened the top she is finished with it and I throw it away.

She likes cardboard, so I give her biscuit cans as well, she shreds the paper and walks away from the mess. I just pick it up and throw it away.

Just anything that is safe, I'll toss to her. It is trash anyway, Easy to pick up and no more plastic/rubber toy parts in her poop.

Works for us, might work for Charlie too? Always supervise of course. Good luck!

Gidget answered on 6/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am trying to figure out what you mean when you talk about the kong and his digestive system?
The black rubber kong is the only thing I use on german shepherds they are heavy chewers.. with any toy they are not indestructable, not even the black kong.
Nothing is proven durable not even the nylabone. Those never worked for my heavy chewers.. they can be very dangerous.
If you read the package they are for chewing and they are not to be worn down and consumed.
so buyer beware with any dog toy... the best way to beat boredom is exercise and doggie sports.
Kiddie pools prove to be great tools and are cheap you can add ice cubes and other floats or the kong which will drive them nuts as they don't float. The wet wubba is great but I have to watch and take it away as it is very destructable. :)
You can also freeze huge treats in stainless steel bowls. Use water, ham, cheese, beef or whatever agrees with the tummy

I find Antlerz were a hit! Real deer antler, soft enough to make a dent in but tough enough to last a long time. They are expensive, but as mentioned last a long time.

Real beef bones. Since eating any extra's is out, try the ones that are basted so they smell and taste interesting, but not filled with stuff that will throw his tummy off.
The Nylabones that are "flavored" are a hit, the Puppy nylabones are too soft and were killed day one.

Charlie is an interesting looking boy. Crazy mix thought: Pointer and Jack Russell, or Rat Terrier. Or maybe Dalmation and JR or Rat Terrier. I have mutts too!

Many dogs aren't interested in a slick, new Nylabone. I think they are putting the nubby texture on more of them now. I think it is part of the reason so many dogs like the hard to find dinosaur ones. The ultimate is the Souper Size Galileo Nylabone. It is about 7 inches long and 3 inches around. It has the slick surface. They are more attractive if you rough up the surface with sand paper or by rubbing it on a concrete floor. Another technique is to jam a Nylabone into a Kong creating what I call a twofer. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Note, not only must Nylabones be discarded when gnawed down too small, for the strongest chewers you need to start with ones too big to get back into the back of the mouth. That can lead to cracked molars.

Oh, Kongs don't have to have peanut butter etc. in them. I only use peanut butter when I am going somewhere the the puppy really needs occupied such as the dentists office.

Lily

You could try a frisbee. Set aside about a half an hour a couple times a day (or more) to throw it and play with him. But if you don't have time for that or he is still bored i would go with nyla-bones!
Hope you find something that works! Good Luck!!

Lily answered on 6/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Candy♥

Well, if Charlie likes to play Frisbee try the Jawz toy. Fetch with a ball?? Try Jolly balls. Charlie looks like a smaller dog and Jolly Pets make all different types and sizes of toys. They even make them for zoo cats!! Chewing? Maybe sterilized bones with maro or peanut butter.

♥Candy♥ answered on 9/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer