Diablo

Torn Paw Pad. What to do?

My dog has almost ripped off his pad on his paw. I noticed that he was limping so I went to check out his paw. I saw that its completley raw because he has been licking it and that it hurts him very badly. We have grass in our front yard and back yard so I don't know where he has hurt it on. I put antibiotic ointment on it with gauze pad and a ace bandage for now. What should I do? Should I take him to the vet?

Asked by Diablo on Jun 5th 2009 Tagged pad, paw in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Daisy~ CGC ♥ TDI

I had the same problem with Daisy. Except, hers was from getting burnt on the schorching pavement. All her paw pads were burnt. One had layers hanging from it. I did the same as you did, and let it be. I read a lot about it, and there wasn't much to it. It will heal on it's own. Hope he feels better! Poor baby! Just keep a good eye on it.

Daisy~ CGC ♥ TDI answered on 6/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

You might consider taking him to the vet to rule out any possible infection present or forth coming. If you decide not to, just keep an eye on it and make sure it seems to be healing.
I would wash and dry throughly and continue with what you are doing. When he goes out to do his business, I would place a baggie over his paw to keep it dry.
Have a good one. I hope he feels better very soon.

I wonder if your boy is allergic to the grass?
Many dogs have grass allergies.
I would give him a baking soda bath.
Place him in a warm tub and add 1/4 cup of baking soda....( do this every day for the next few days)
Yes, good idea with the triple antibiotic ointment. BUT - even a better product is EMT spray or gel/ EMT is an invisible bandage of collegen - cost about 10-12.00 per bottle ...
I would not be without this :
see here: this can be found in hunting stores and pet stores:
naturmix.com

Also, see here for more help:
Alternative medicine for pets
www.allexperts.com

I would. That way they can look with lighted magnifying lense to see if anything is stuck in there.
They can treat it and give you a list of things to do to get it going in the right direction.
It sounds really bad, I would take him in.
It will heal fast once there is no infection and it stays clean.
I had one dog slip on cement 3 weeks ago same thing. Just enough to knock off a piece of skin. Unfortunely, not uncommon as the weather gets good and their paws are kind of soft again.