Too busy for a husky?

I understand that Siberian huskies require lots of attention and exercise. How do you raise a happy, obedient Siberian despite having to work during the day? I would imagine that lots of husky owners have normal 9-5 jobs. Would a run before and after work (and maybe a third run after dinner) be enough? I would spend as much time with the dog as I could, but would being away at work all day (8 hours) cause a problem for the puppy? I would love to hear your experiences with this.

Thanks!

Asked by Member 875079 on Sep 13th 2009 Tagged siberian, husky, separationanxiety, training, crating, puppy in Siberian Husky

Answers

Fritz

Hi, my person works 5 days a week, if she didn’t she couldn’t afford to keep me. I have a playmate, Auda, a safe fenced area to stay in during the day I sleep by her bed every night, we hang together in the am and I have breakfast. I spend the day outside with my friend Auda and then come in when my person gets home for pets, a walk, and dinner.

My previous owner tried to keep me in an apartment and it didn’t work well. I think it would take a dedicated person to keep a husky or other big energetic dog in an apartment.

So, it depends on your situation. A lot of dog owners work full time, most of them couldn’t have dogs if they didn’t’. A safe yard, being close enough to come home and check on puppy or having someone who can check for you would make a difference.

If you don’t feel you have time for a puppy, consider an adult dog. There are a lot of good things that come with an adult and given a bit of time and good care, we will love you as much as any puppy you raised.

Fritz answered on 9/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

May I add that huskies are really good escape artists so if you do get and then leave your husky outdoors make sure you have a very very secured fenced in area and make sure your husky is microchipped.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

I use to have a large malmute.
Even though I was active and had a full acre I found it difficult.
But, it can be done. I feel any breed has to have devotion , time and love from an owner.
So, maybe the breed was not for me.
He was just not adjusting to the last two owners and I think alot of it had to do with his experiences of going from one home to another.
I have had up to 4-5 dogs and work full time. But, I didn't work more than 8 hrs per day and sometimes there was other people home to let them out.
Also I would say have a large yard for this breed.
Yes, they are great ones to escape the fence. Mine would get out and be gone for days. They love to run. If it is a pup I would highly recommend coming home for lunch getting a person to come in as well in the afternoons, and let the pup outside for about 30 min as well.
But, a large yard and a very good fence will help as well.
Here is a link

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Husky

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 9/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Well, Siberian huskys have a LOT of energy, so it depends if you have a lot of room. Personally, 2-3 runs per day is enough. But remember,
you have to have the love with it.

TIP: If you have a little spare time, grab a frisbe or a ball!! : )

Glimmer

I already told someone else this same thing: get a virtual Husky here www.dogzer.us

This way you can see what it's like to own a Husky before getting a real one! It's really realistic and you can compete in sled races, meet other Husky fans, start a Kennel Club and breed to get more puppies, it's really fun!

It's a good way to start

Glimmer answered on 4/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer