Abigail

Today I tried to "correct" my dachshund by spaking her, and she bit me. Why?

Recently she has regressed in her potty training, so I took her to the vet to make sure there's no medical reason (nope). So I tried re-potty training her the way I did originally (cheering her on outside, kennel training, etc.), but it's not working. So now I have escalated that to spanking as well.

The last few days, when I'm doing this, she has been showing her teeth but nothing more. Today she ran into her kennel when I called her name (anticipating a spanking), and when I reached in to get her, she showed her teeth again. Thinking she was faking me out, I reached in, and she bit me. Nothing big - it mainly scared me and hurt my feelings, but I want to know why she did this.

She has been a GREAT little girl until this, and I don't want her to think that biting is OK. I want to have kids soon, and I refuse to have an agressive dog around. But I don't have the money to hire a dog trainer. What do I do? I love this little girl!

Asked by Abigail on Sep 26th 2007 Tagged bite, agressive, aggression, dachshund in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Because she is protesting and she is dominant and she probably lerned that people back away woith her teeth. Your daughter may train her walk her but thats just someone giving her stuff or another pack MEMBER not leader. I know your daughter is very good with her cus it sure sounds like it but find out what dogs really need rather than what people would need. I guess you can say. I know you all LOVE her VERY much.

answered on Sep 27th.

Answers

Xena

Your approach to potty training your dog by spanking is not working. She knows it's coming, but she is still going inside. I would suggest you change your approach. Just as she regressed in her potty training, you need to regress in your approach. Treat her as though she were just a puppy--bring her outside every few hours whether she asks to go out or not and use a command such as "go potty" when you bring her out (do not just let her out on her own--you must accompany her). When she does go potty outside, you need to act like it's the biggest accomplishment in the world. Get excited, cheer, clap, and give her a treat immediately. Then go inside and have some playtime. You may want to couple this with crating or leashing your dog in the house. If you catch her going potty inside, say "No, outside!" and immediately bring her outside. If she finishes outside, cheer and treat. If you notice that she went inside but did not see her do it, simply clean it up and DO NOT punish her.

Xena answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 7 Report this answer

When training your dog, there is no reason for any angry direct physical contact of your body to your dog's body. Of course, there is a reason for petting, patting, and stroking.

Hitting your dog does not teach them anything. Spanking only vents your anger and frustration. It only teaches your dog to become hand shy. Hitting a dog will can eventually lead to a dog snapping back at you, as in your case. Your dog is unable to push your hand away. A dog uses its mouth as a hand.

Your tone of voice can accomplish much more. A correct tone of your voice will stop your dog in her tracks! You can tell your dog that you are not pleased with her, simply by your voice. A dog that respects you as a leader will understand immediately. Use your tone of voice to get your dog to listen, learn, and to pay attention.

The only time I spank my dog is playfully. I grab his tail and give his bottom a few little light and playful swats; he will turn around, and mouth me playfully!

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC

Xena hit the nail on the head as to how you should be approaching potty training. I would recommend following her advice. :-)

As for why your dog bit you, she was defending herself! Dogs don't connect the action of pottying in the house to you spanking them. As far as she's concerned, it's an unprovoked attack against her. She can't figure out why you lashed out for no reason and so now she's very wary around you.

Unlike human children, you cannot explain to dogs WHY they were spanked. And unless you catch a dog in the act or within 2 seconds of pottying in the house, they won't associate the spanking with their actions. Even so, I don't think hitting your dog is EVER appropriate. There are much more effective ways to go about training that don't negatively effect your relationship.

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 9 Report this answer

Spanking, or hitting a dog for any reason is completely unacceptable. Frankly, it is abuse, not correction.

Abigail doesn't understand why you hit her. You say you don't want an agressive dog, but that is just what you are creating. You have created a situation in which your dog is fearful of you. Fearful dogs growl, show teeth and can bite.

You are going to have to work very hard to regain your dog's trust. Don't ever call her to come to you for an unpleasant reason. Reward her with a treat or over the top praise when she does come when called. Start keeping her on a predictable schedule if you aren't now; dogs thrive on repetition and it makes them feel secure.

Start by going back to square one with the housetraining. You were smart to take her to the vet since it sounds like she was previously houstrained.

Most shelters offer free training classes. You should be able to find free or low cost help somewhere if you try.

Please don't hit your dog ever again!

First of all, hitting a dog in any way is considered using "force". The ONLY way a dog can respond to force is with force: biting.
Right now you have a dog that is afraid of you. She runs to her kennel for safety. You invaded that safety.

You also have a "dominant" breed. I have 2 dachshunds and 5 other dogs. Housebreaking a dog can be very challenging, but there a dozens of different ways to do it WITHOUT hitting!

Right now you have a fear agressive problem which you have created. No, biting is not okay but neither is hitting. If she could hit you back she would, instead all she can do is bite.

You need to establish trust with her. This will take time. Then you need to establish "pack leadership". She does not see you as the pack leader. She is. You have 2 major problems that can be corrected. I would suggest going to Cesar Millan's website (THE DOG WHISPERER). Go from there. I learned how to be the alpha dog in my house from him. His way works!

I really do not know why she bit you, but with the potty training with my two, everytime i see them squating i spray them in the face with water, use the spray bottle with a straight line not a mist, then put her where she needs to go potty, outside etc. this really worked for me. with everything potty training, chewing on thing, etc. Hope this help's

I can understand your frustration with the potty-training problems you seem to be having with your doxie - they are notoriously hard to train. I do have to say that it also makes me very sad that you would resort to hitting her - not only does it destroy her trust in you, it WILL make her more aggressive and certainly won't achieve your training objectives.

We're still working on Maggie's potty training. We take her out regularly, and give her praise and a little treat of her food (1 kibble) when she does her business outside. If she refuses to go when we take her out, we put her in her kennel and try again in 5-10 minutes. Repeat until she does her business, then cheer and treat! This method has greatly improved her housebreaking.

Yes, potty training a doxie is frustrating and time consuming, but you have an independent and stubborn, but wonderful, feisty and funny breed of dog. Please don't destroy her sweet spirit by hitting her, ever.

Sheila, MAD, MR, MS, JCH-Br, S

Spanking is the absolutely wrong answer to this problem. You should spank yourself for not noticing that she needs to go out! She is not yet fully potty trained. But there's enough answers to that statement already.

I do have a response to the "Guest" who says that he sprays his dogs with water when they are about to pee in the house: wrong approach as well. Many dogs might take this as "they don't want me to pee in front of them", which could lead to the problem that your dog won't go potty with you or near you anymore because they're afraid of beig sprayed (punished).

If you catch them in the act, just pick them up right away (you don't have to talk to them) and put them outside to the potty area where they're supposed to go; and praise them when they're done.

Going potty on demand in the designated area must be a great thing for the dog that gets rewarded every time. I still praise my adult dogs when they go where they're allowed and they're always happy afterwards!

Sheila, MAD, MR, MS, JCH-Br, S answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 6 Report this answer

Toby

when toby tried to pull the teeth thing on me i just popped him in the mouth a couple times and now hes awsome,he doesnt dare to even remotly show me any nonsense!

Toby answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Sweets

You should only spank if she bites you first. That is like spanking a child for no reason. Spanking and potty training don't go hand in hand. In fact, that's making the situation worse. Your dog is going to respond more to a firm, loud, deep, NO MA'AM! more than she will being spanked.

If you catch her in the act say NO! and place her in the yard immediately. After she elimates there, praise her and bring her back inside.

Sweets answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Buddy Boy

Because you shouldn't correct dogs by spanking. It scares them and doesn't help the problem. You don't want your dog to be scared and fearful of you.
Your dog wasn't aggressive until you started to spank her.
So keep doing the cheering on outside. Give her cookies as well. If you do catch her going in the house, tell her no, and put her outside. No rubbing the face in it, no spanking. It doesn't help. If you don't catch her doing it, don't do anything. They don't understand why they are in trouble.
My dog would tear up the whole house when we would leave. We didn't catch him doing it, he would never do it in front of us, so we just had to crate train him for 8 months. Now he is fine. never any reason to spank a dog, ever, for any reason. It doesn't teach them anything, and they don't understand it.

Buddy Boy answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 5 Report this answer

Freeway Golightly

hmmm. To be honest, I would bite you too if you hit me....! Never Never hit a dog, Unless they are trying to kill you. Next, be patient. Use piddle pads if you have to. Go to the vet like the last poster suggested. If nothing else works, maybe you should consider giving the dog to someone who has the time to start over with her. It may be in the best interest of Abigail.

Freeway Golightly answered on 9/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 5 Report this answer

Ruby

If you had a little kid and you spanked them when they got potty training wrong, don't you think they'd be a bit peed off? That's exactly why your pup is biting you! Spanking your dog is the same as spanking a child, you are using force instead of patience. If you have time on your hands, you can have patience and wait instead of spanking. Try putting down newspaper by the door leading into the back yard. If she misses the garden (ie doesn't get there quick enough) she will do her doody on the newspaper.

Ruby answered on 9/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer