To willie and the other person that answered my question !

Other breeders aren't all responsible like me I've been spending money on getten him well at the vet since he's been 7 weeks old I didn't put him up for sale while he was sick like some people do I love my pups and till this day the people that bought my pups still come n visit with there new pups. I've been spending on all his vet expense's and he's up to date on all his shots plus his surgery. I know the english bulldog rescue charges for old bulldogs adoption fee of 600 n up for all there medical expense's and my pup is only 5 months and only needed this one surgery and he's young n nkc registered. But I think if you can't afford the price of the pup then you can't afford the dog.! Sincerly responsible pup breeder

Asked by Member 529709 on Dec 7th 2011 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

The other person who answered your question is also a breeder.

Please do not feel attacked. The general consensus here, which I do think is true, is that a breeder worth his salt wouldn't need to ask questions about breeding online because he's done the research and has/had a mentor before he began breeding in the first place. THAT SAID, I suppose questions about price would be different.

My intent is not to make you feel like you're being judged, but I am curious--what health tests are done on your dogs? How bodily sound are they and how do you test this? How do you ascertain how good their temperaments are?
I'm not attempting to make you feel unwelcome in the least, and there are different opinions out there about what makes a responsible breeder. Especially on the internet.
Here's mine: cookiemiller.tripod.com

Again, I'm not trying to make you feel bad. Either except or reject my opinion here. I won't get mad.

"But I think if you can't afford the price of the pup then you can't afford the dog.! "
This statement of yours is exactly right... if you can't afford to treat ALL the pups in your litter, you can't afford to be breeding dogs. The way I see it you are lucky you only had ONE problem dog.
NO responsible BREEDER ever makes money or even breaks even...it costs me thousands of dollars to get all the showing, health testing and genetic screening done to prove my dog is worthy of breeding.
In my breed, toy poodles, I am lucky if I have TWO pups in a litter, at least one which I am keeping because that is what I did the breeding for. One sold is certainly not going to even come close to covering what the breeding costs me.
Sorry, but that is what breeding is all about.
You need to cut your losses and find someone willing to provide a loving home for this dog without expecting them to pay all the expenses YOU incurred being a breeder. That is YOUR responsibility as a breeder.

OK..not willie..Wiley, but that aside..I stand by my answer. You may care for your dogs, but that does not mean you are a true breeder..in it for the love of the breed. If you are worried about recouping your money, then just have your dog spayed & stop bringing more puppies into the world. You got lucky on this one..what about next time. I do not find you to be responsible..loving dogs & having folks visit you does not make you a good breeder. What happens when someone gets tired of having their dog? Will you do the right thing & take the dog back & care for it until a truly good home can be found?

B.J., CGC

Actually, responsible breeders do not breed their dogs without doing pre-breeding health checks. Obviously you did not do these as dogs need to be a minimum of two years old before certifying their hips and elbows and knees and Mile's mother was not yet two when she was bred, according to your Dogster page on her.
American Bulldogs are one of many breeds prone to canine hip dysplasia and/or elbow dysplasia and breeding without this certification is not being a responsible breeder nor being fair to all those people who purchased your puppies.
Hopefully, they will not have skeletal issues but, if they do, as an ethical breeder you are also responsible for the costs incurred for their treatment should these pups develop any hereditary issues.
This, plus things outlined in the previous answers, are what makes the difference in a responsible breeder vs someone who is just breeding to have puppies and make a buck.
Good breeders do not make money, they do it to improve their breed.

B.J., CGC answered on 12/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer