Roscoe

Thunder?

My dog is Terrified of thunder.
He barks, howls, pees, bites, runs through the house terring up every thing in his path.
Who knew such a little dog could do such a mess.
Is there any medicine? Side effects?
Hurry its about to storm.

Asked by Roscoe on Jul 11th 2010 Tagged help in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Buckeye

Many dogs are very afraid of thunderstorms. It sometimes isn't the thunder, but the sudden climate and air change can make them scared. Of course, the noise the thunder makes is probably the biggest problem.

Dog owners often have their dogs go in to an enclosed area, such as a shower stall, bathtub or smaller room with the door closed or cracked open slightly.

Don't baby your dog, but soothe him. Just running your hand down his back can make him feel safer, or distracting him from the noise.

You can talk to your veternarian about medicine that will make him relax.

There are also vests, shirts and jackets that can actually make the dog calm down. One of them is the Thunder Shirt.

Good luck. Please paw mail me with any questions.

Buckeye answered on 7/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bo

I feel your pain. I have one too. I swear sometimes I think Bo is going to have a heart attack.

The 4th of July is the ultimate though. I couldn't bare him having to go through another one. It takes a month to get over it because the fireworks go off for days before and days after.

I tried concealing in a quieter room, petting, acting normal, kong toys, distraction methods, nothing worked.

Determined not to allow him to go through this again, I tried the following.

I turned tv's very loud, turned on washer/dryer/dishwasher/fans and anything loud. I started this on the evenings prior to the 4th, then on the 4th I added a valium. Mixed with the loudness in my house, we actually made it through the season with no trembling, no foaming, no pacing. Only a little startled when the big booms went off, but he relaxed right after. This was a miracle for us.

I'm not big on medicating, but sometimes it is necessary. Talk to your vet to find what med would be best for Roscoe.

Bo answered on 7/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

there is the anxiety wrap that helps dogs.
I think I am going to invest in one for my Baxter. He too is so scared of storms and fireworks. He yelps and shakes like crazy.
Some people have success in playing with their dogs during storms using food to play games and interaction during storms.
I know you can't do that in the middle of the night but during the day that would be a good idea.
Check out the anxiety wrap. I think that would be a great question also after this. Does the anxiety wraps work?
I have seen large dogs like that and our collie my mom had years ago would try to jump through windows. So , don't feel bad it happens.

Bennie

One of our yorkies is like that except she doesn't run throught the house or does any damage. What she does to is have severe anxiety attacks. What you could try is a product called Rescue Remedy, it is purchased in a health food store, it will help to calm him,fill the syringe in the bottle and squirt it his mouth make sure he swallows it. Takes a little while to kick in, can be also used for car sickness, we also use it when we show dogs. Hope this helps.

Bennie answered on 7/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer