There are 2 complaints about my dog being aggresive to dogs. I now muzzle him. What can i do ?

He had to be kenneled in 2011 due to a medical emergency. He came back with a " new attitude" I now muzzle him in the common areas of the building. Could someone please advise me what i can do to keep him ? He is company for my disabled husband, loves people but now hates other dogs. There are 2 letters of complaint into our office and the owner is coming in this week. I don't know what will happen if I have to give him up... He is a neutered 3 yr. old black Lab. & a rescue. We are his 3rd. family, we got him at 12 months. Please advise :(
Thank you

Asked by Member 1155850 on Feb 18th 2013 in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

I have a snarky dog (understatement), so I can relate. First off..good for you for recognizing the problem & attempting to manage it. There is NO shame/harm in muzzling your dog. That is what responsible owners do.
I HIGHLY recommend hiring a certified behavior consultant to come and assess your situation. They will be able to come up with a personalized plan for you.
There are several ways to deal with this issue. Look at Me, Look at That, & BAT are some. Google BAT Grisha Stewart.
We can not tell you what will work for you, as we have never seen him.
There is no "easy" fix. I have been working with my guy for a few years and he is much better, but not "cured."