Pixie

The quick in my dog's nails has grown to the tips...

Since I adopted Pixie her nails have been relatively long. When we try to cut them back they bleed because the quick has grown out to the tips- I believe she never had her nails cut regularly before I adopted her, thats why the quick is so far grown out. We are only ever able to file the tips so they are not sharp but its not helping the situation. Does anyone know of a way to cut her nails and get the quick to retract slowly? The only advice i have gotten is is cut them regularly and be prepared with sytpic powder because there is no way to to it without a blood bath. groomers or anyone- do you have advice?

Asked by Pixie on Dec 31st 2007 Tagged nails in Grooming

Answers

Lola

I adopted a Weimaraner at 5 who had pretty long nails. I've never been able to cut them back as short as I'd like, either. Her quick is just too long.

I have been told the quick recedes about 3 days after cutting the nail, so you can try cutting them just a little every few days. But, I have never had luck with this.

Lola answered on 12/31/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I woudldn't just cut them and let them bleed since it is very painful for them to have the quick (nerve) cut.

Do you have an area around your house where she can be walked on concrete or asphalt. That helps a lot.

I have a friend whose dog has "complicated" nails and she takes him once a month to the vet where a vet tech clips the nails. I think it costs about $5 or so, but it is totally worth it. He doesn't bleed and he's comfortable with normal length nails.

Might be an option for you..good luck!

Chloe

The solution we used at the clinic was if Pixie hasn't been spayed yet, or needs a teeth cleaning, or any other procedure which requires her to be under for a few hours...ask your vet if she can get her nails trimmed to an appropriate length then.

That way she doesn't have to endure the pain, (some vets include pain killer along with the procedure to begin with), and you both can start on a clean slate with her nails :)

Chloe answered on 1/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie

I don't think you'll like this, but this is what I do for Maggie. Her nails are very hard and grow fast. It is difficult to keep them a good length and it is hard to cut them since her feet are so sensitive. I can usually only nip off the tips which really doesn't help much; so, to keep her nails at a good length I have to walk her at least 4 miles every day just to keep the nails down. As she walks the nails will wear down and the quick receeds. Of course this does take time and patience; it isn't an instant cure.

Maggie answered on 1/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

Everyone had good suggestions.As a Vet Tech there have been several ways to have her nails done.If she is haveing a difficult time with her nails then there is a proceedure that your Vet can do.But she would need to go under sedation to have it done.So have your vet check her teeth out to see if her teeth need to be cleaned then you can have both things done while she is under sedation.What the Vet will do is go ahead&cut her nails as short as necessary&culterize them. Then your Vet may give her anti inflammatories &antibiotics so she doesn't get them infected.Then they can clean her teeth to.All in one visit.Otherwise keep up with your filing or you can have a groomer or Vet Tech teach you how to use a nail grinder,if done properly this will push your dogs quik back to a normal lenght.Do this every 3 days with your file or with your grinder,my dogs get done once a week with a grinder.Please have someone teach you do not do this on your own.The walking idea also.bad time of year though

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 1/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ein

There is a procedure that is used in dogs with long quicks. Its called grinding. They actually use what looks like a mini sander.

Because of what it does it actually "closes" the quick so that the dog doesn't bleed and helps the quick to recede to make things easier in the future. I would talk to a groomer about using this procedure. I had to use it on Ein when we first got him because he had the same problem.

Ein answered on 1/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer