tharpy dogs for deppression

i have a daughter who has a severe drug problem me and her counselor are looking for a good recovrey dog for her. she is looking for a dog thats not a puppy but not to old a dog that will play with her and be loyal to her.
if you have a dog in mind please email me
thanks

Asked by Member 985107 on May 3rd 2010 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

I would go to the local shelter to adopt one. Sometimes if people see how bad some of the dogs life has been there, it takes their mind off their own problems. Especially, if she can help nurse one back to health. Have you considered having her volunteer? That way maybe she can fall in love with one on her own terms. Good Luck! :)

i agree 100*/* with jax good luck

There are so many wonderful shelter dogs I would have to agree strongly as well.
Not to be mean but make sure she gets help first. If she is willing to dry out at rehab and then change I think the dog would be wonderful in the end of her process. Then the dog will keep her busy. Find one that has a little more spunk to them so that she is forced to walk it and play frisbee or something. Some herding dogs are more upbeat and have the drive to help us stay busy day to day. But, make sure she is ready and she is cool with it. I know what is like to have a troubled daughter. The one I had was strong willed and no animal made her happy. I tried everything. There are many herding mixes in shelters get her a dog that has a very upbeat personality it will be infectious to her to have a dog licking her and saying come on lets go. good luck to you I hope it all works out.

I recommend going to a local shelter or rescue to adopt a dog. So many dogs are needing homes! However, I also recommend looking into good and responsible breeders. Breeders will be more expensive though. American Pit Bull Terriers make great therapy dogs, they are very loyal and eager to please. They love to play too. Before getting an American Pit Bull Terrier, educate yourself on the breed. This breed already gets a bad rap so education and research is a MUST if you're going to adopt or buy an American Pit Bull Terrier. I very rarely recommend an American Pit Bull Terrier to anyone but like I said, these dogs are SO loyal, brave, eager to please, courageous dogs. They'll always be by your side and every American Pit Bull Terrier owner I've met says they'll never own another dog breed that they are the best dogs they've ever owned.

Good luck with finding the right dog!